Pearly Miss no2 Restoration

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Pearly Miss no2 Restoration

Post by Rapier »

I've got a helper to scrub and sand tomorrow on the Pearly Miss, a remarkable teenager with his own boats, but much admiring of a scabby lummie.

Thanks too to the member who (having educated me) put me onto the rivet supplier, who knew exactly what I meant by 50s ali, 17 guage, 4.5mil and pan heads.

..more pics tomorrow.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Day 8. Braved the rise in temperature and spent 4 hours cleaning, scrubbing, sanding and a bit of polish to this point. Sapphire Products parcel arrived next day, great service indeed, and the jointing compound arrived yesterday...Yesterday's rain and a cold have put me off doing any more, so log fire and medicinal rum call.
Attachments
Picture 114 (Large).jpg
Picture 113 (Large).jpg

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Looks a different boat, great progress given the time of year. Go to the top of the class (makes a rare change from the naughty step)!
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Day 9 & Day 9.5....Resorted to the 'DA' with a 500 grit disk. Gave up when the Mrs came to complain. Polished the hull today, but will wait until it's riveted before using ACF-50. Total rivets to be replaced is now 42; mostly around the stern. Given the scars of marine growth and worn spray rails, I reckon the boat spent a lot of time moored up. Have taken to beating the boat with a mallet to see if any more pop their heads. As my boats are not trailer queens am thinking it' may be worthwhile drilling them all out on the planing surface and re-riveting to save myself time and effort down the line. The transom is keyed up and nigh ready to glue and screw the wood.
Attachments
Picture 117 (Large).jpg
Picture 115 (Large).jpg
Picture 122 (Large).jpg
Picture 123 (Large).jpg
Picture (Large).jpg
Picture 124 (Large).jpg

mad millie
CMBA Member: 0

Post by mad millie »

I have to say that looks top drawer what you've achieved on that little boat and in such a little time :thumbsup:
How many boats have you restored in your time?
Which would you prefer to work on metal or grp?
All the best
Jon......

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Thanks Jon, but has had a hard life and the scars are numerous..This is my 15th boat since 2004, when I joined the CMBA and is the 8th renovation..none of them have been restorations in the true sense of the word..so 2 ali and 3 ply and 2 grp I guess - prefer aluminium as it can be so rewarding to work with.

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Having sold off most of my 'stock' bought this for the boat, is a 50s vintage Airguide with the hose up front, i.e you don't have to drill through the bulkhead to fit. £14.70 on septic ebay, inc postage, arrived today...like xmas again.
Attachments
Picture 130 (Large).jpg

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Post by solitaire »

Rapier - I'm amazed at your progress through the "grey" months, - Your efforts put me to shame, - I laid off the boat work weeks ago and have taken to engine tinkering in the conservatory! - (It's not an offence yet!)
Having seen your Pearly Miss, - I remember a lot of boat hire firms on the Thames (Hobbs at Henley for example) had them fitted up with litthe 4.5hp Mercs for hourly hire - I guess they were tough enough to take the bashing some hirer's must have given them - At that time - I never thought they would become a classic - but now - the lines look so nice and I may look out for one to use on the river myself! -- Where have they all gone?
Have you decided what engine you will fit yet?

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

'where have they all gone?'
They are still there! Hobbs still have the Pearly Miss as hire boats (or they did up until last year) now fitted with little Honda's. When I was at college in Henley in the early 70's I remember them with little OMC's on them not Mercs, I worked at a local Merc dealler at the time & remember poo-pooing the OMC's! Some things never change!! :D
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

See a few both hire and private on our Thames Runs, and lots of hire boats go past the Trad Boat Rally too. A trawl through the internet will normally find a few for sale from £100 upwards and maybe 10-12 a year on ebay, so they're around but seldom in great original (and privately owned) nick.

Hoping to fit one of 4 motors, in varying states of repair at the moment though....'71 33cu Mercury 400 twin,which was on my Peatly Miss Deluxe, a '60 39cu Mercury 300 four (http://store.oldmercs.com/category_s/804.htm) or a couple of banger 40s from OMC, a 71 SkiTwin 40 (http://www.old-omc.de/e_1971/seite_12_13.jpg) and a non electric shift '62 Seahorse 40 (http://www.old-omc.de/j_1962/seite_05.jpg).

Nothing beats the Mercs for style and noise, but I have a fondness for the tractor-like OMCs and their odd styling and marketing that dictated 'Super Quiet' shrouds ...in essence to bulk up their mid-sections....and enormous fiberglass hoods...to disguise that tiny motor underneath.