Classic Speed Boat Restoration with a Teak Deck

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

ChrisChase
CMBA Member: 0

Re: Classic Speed Boat Restoration with a Teak Deck

Post by ChrisChase »

Hi everyone!
Just a quick update and a few more photos (obivously) :D

The original rubbing stripes back on, may need to invest in a new one in the near future as its been bashed quite a few times!

Fixed the engine control problem! Cut out an arc of foam from under the vinyl, so now the controls can actually move, although still rub slightly but i'll learn to live with that!

Side buffer pads are now on, with added rear passanger grab handles!

The rear seat backrest is now vinyled, also going to vinly a foam pad to go along the top of the backrest! This has replaced an old piece of brown flappy vinyl that used to cover the petrol tank when i first bought the boat!

Ive also realised i havent added anything about the engine restoration. So here it goes.

The boat was bought knowing that the engine jumped out of gear when reving high. I diagnosed this as a worn clutch dog, so ripped the gearbox appart and rebuilt it with a new clutch dog and all new seals etc.

The gears where suprisingly in good condition and the clutch dog didnt show much sign of wear, but i changed it anyway.

Re-build gear box (sorry for the poor picture, but i'm not taking it appart again! :p)

Obviously as i took it all appart, i also did a lower end service, new water pump, oil, seals, etc. When i put the lower leg back on the engine i noticed a problem with the gear selector rod connector, one of the bolt threads had striped, so i now think it was that which was the problem not the clutch dog!! :( Thats fixed now aswell and it goes in and out of gear properly!

After this I started on the aesthetics, rubbed down the cowling and painted it.

And then proceeded to DROP IT!!!!!!!

Thank god for filler!

Painted the rest of the outboard and cowling with original colours.

and then added home made decals from water proof sticky back vinyl as the real decals where IMPOSSIBLE to find!

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Looking better every time, see here for decals if yours don't work out, they look good in the photographs though. The guy is in Canada but they are, I suspect, the only ones available now.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

ChrisChase

Post by ChrisChase »

Alacrity wrote:Looking better every time, see here for decals if yours don't work out, they look good in the photographs though. The guy is in Canada but they are, I suspect, the only ones available now.
Thanks Alacrity, but i dont think your link worked??

The boats nearly complete! Just wiring and a NAME left!! any suggestions????

Installed a battery master switch which just fits and hides behind the rear seat backrest.

Also put a foam pad on the back rest.

A mock up of the dashboards now completed, just needs a few more coats of varnish and fitting in properly and then the wiring can be completed.

I was hoping to get her on the water on bank hoilday monday, but i now can't get my towbar fitted untill next week, so that will have to be postponed. But i need a NAME!! :)

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Sorry about that, clearly had a bit of a moment there! Link is working now. :oops:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Post by sean-nós »

I got some parts,paint and decals from that guy in Canada,they are very good but I had to pay the vat to the postman :grrr: just something to think about.
As for a name.
RED FETISH :wot: :D

REDHEAD :hmmm:

REDWOOD ;)

REDHIBITION :juggle:

RED IN DEBT :oops:

IN THE RED :cry:

LADY IN RED :giggle:

RED N RUDE :drink:
:nice:
Last edited by sean-nós on Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Howstar

Post by Howstar »

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

Cracking job how about :-
Rhubarb and custard
Attachments
chairs[1].jpg

ChrisChase

Post by ChrisChase »

floater wrote:Cracking job how about :-
Rhubarb and custard
Great suggestion!
Infact this was the very first name i thought of as well!

ChrisChase

Post by ChrisChase »

Did some general tidying and small jobs today. Repaired the clamp threads on the engine with helicoils, screwed in the dashboard for good with ammeter, switches and stereo, put two new wheel hubs on the trailer. Mounted the engine on the boat to test the cable steering and controls and cut a piece of carpet for the floor of the boat which now needs the edges to be bound. Here's some photos....

ADF

Post by ADF »

Looks great :nice:

One question though, what sort of foam did you use for the dash? You say 8mm foam, but was it a particular sort, as I have some carpet underlay foam that is about 10mm, and was wandering whether I could use that?
Someone once told me:
"A boat is a big hole in the sea you throw money in to"
My dad once told me:
"Boating is like standing in the shower, fully clothed ripping up 5 pound notes"