simmonds re-surfaces

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

tim briggs
CMBA Member: 0

simmonds re-surfaces

Post by tim briggs »

Here we have a Simmonds ski boat that belonged to Birmingham water ski club and stoke waterski club prior to that. It has re-surfaced after being stowed away in the roof trusses of the owners forklift truck repair shop some time in the mid 1980's after the rudder was lost. The owner has sadly passed and the boat was sold by his family after contacting Marcus at the Simmonds motor launch web site (many thanks Marcus). It sits on an original Simmonds trailer and i had a very nervous drive from Birmingham back to Bournemouth towing a trailer that was at least 57 years old and had not been looked at for 35 years!
The boat has a retro fitted ford essex 3l v6 with marine manifolds and raw water cooling via a jabsco pump, so was probably very quick. the dash was over laid with a plywood unit covered with black vinyl which i guess made it look modern when fitted (the aluminium original now looks like a swiss cheese as it had so many dials fitted).
The boat is now stripped out, engine removed and paint stripping well advanced, exposing a bit of filler, a few dents and missing/loose rivets. the vessel has been repaired along the way with a considerable number of stainless machine screws and nuts instead of rivets.
The engine is an issue, the v6 shape with large aluminum water cooled manifolds makes the rear seats virtually unusable due to its width. It is badly down on compression on one valve/cylinder, low on another and only one reads a full 70psi. the hour meter in the boats reads 1400 hours and the engine may have been well used in the Capri or Granada it came out of. current options are: get the v6 re-conditioned and fit with a bowman heat exchanger (i will be using the boat in salt water and would want to avoid corrosion and running cool), try to find an origional 1700cc consul unit with the wedge shaped sump or look for another unit unrelated to the boat. Any suggestions appreciated.
pictures show her previous home and works started at the end of January.
tim
Attachments
simmonds 4.jpg
simmonds 4.jpg (24.21 KiB) Viewed 8324 times
simmonds 3.jpg
simmonds 3.jpg (28.91 KiB) Viewed 8324 times
simonds 1.jpg
simonds 1.jpg (22.26 KiB) Viewed 8324 times
simmonds 2.jpg
simmonds 2.jpg (20.69 KiB) Viewed 8324 times
simmonds 5.jpg
simmonds 5.jpg (29.99 KiB) Viewed 8324 times

tim briggs

Re: simmonds re-surfaces

Post by tim briggs »

More stripping and sanding.

tim briggs

Post by tim briggs »

More stripping and sanding.
Attachments
All topside paint now removed
All topside paint now removed
1F79F8B8-709C-47AC-AA89-381A775C6F58.jpeg (46.59 KiB) Viewed 8287 times
CF921D72-4B75-4DEE-B623-D9C4D0C9EE3B.jpeg
CF921D72-4B75-4DEE-B623-D9C4D0C9EE3B.jpeg (50.27 KiB) Viewed 8287 times

tim briggs

Post by tim briggs »

lifted boat off trailer to rotate and start stripping the bottom. Any ideas on what to do with the joint between the sides and bottom? it is a lapped butt joint riveted, not sure whether to just clean up and leave or should i put some panel sealant along it?
Attachments
simmonds 6.jpg
simmonds 6.jpg (27.51 KiB) Viewed 8273 times
simmonds 7.jpg
simmonds 7.jpg (28.94 KiB) Viewed 8273 times

tim briggs

Post by tim briggs »

All the paint now off. An unexpected find was that the entire hull and top side appears to have swirl mark from the factory, they are quite deep and crudely applied. I can only assume that it was used for keying the primer, anybody experienced this on other Simmonds?
Can anybody offer some advice on filler? I am new to aluminium and not sure whether to fill directly to the bare alloy or does it need preparing to prevent oxidisation between the two?
Advice on a good primer would also be much appreciated.
Attachments
89B4DD08-B5FF-4F69-9394-8D36C2DF2F9B.jpeg
89B4DD08-B5FF-4F69-9394-8D36C2DF2F9B.jpeg (42.98 KiB) Viewed 8235 times

tim briggs

Post by tim briggs »

2 coats of epoxy primer prior to fairing. I am going to fair the bottom to to practice so I can make a decent fist of the sides and top.
Attachments
simmonds 8.jpg
simmonds 8.jpg (26.97 KiB) Viewed 8122 times
simmonds 9.jpg
simmonds 9.jpg (25.67 KiB) Viewed 8122 times

tim briggs

Post by tim briggs »

The boat is now the right way up again. I have sanded and polished the rubbing strip prior to masking up and priming. Two coats of epoxy primer and then started fairing. There are an awfull lot of highs and lows and on 5 round of sanding and filling. now the sun is out and i try to do an hour or so each evening after work, the low lying sun keeps catching another spot or two every time.
I am renting some space at the Boat Workshop in Corfe Mullun, which is working out well, they have a big compressor, lots of power sockets and plenty of tea and chat with other boat enthusiasts. the rent is reasonable as well.
Attachments
faired 2.jpg
faired 2.jpg (25.63 KiB) Viewed 7892 times
faired 1.jpg
faired 1.jpg (26.23 KiB) Viewed 7892 times
polished edge2.jpg
polished edge2.jpg (26.72 KiB) Viewed 7892 times
polished edge1.jpg
polished edge1.jpg (22.16 KiB) Viewed 7892 times

tim briggs

Post by tim briggs »

Painting is now almost finished...Phew. Not have had much experience of either airless or traditional spray painting, so coat after coat went on but then needed flattening back due to not being quite right. Joton marine epoxy primer and followed by polyurethane 2 pack top coat.
I am about to start putting it back together but I am missing the navigation light. I believe it to be a Perko brand, but struggling to find one in the UK (either new or second hand). Anyone know where i could pick one up (see image-if any simmonds owners could tell me if it is correct).
Attachments
perko nav light.jpg
simmonds primer 1.jpg
simmonds primer 1.jpg (28.08 KiB) Viewed 6878 times
simmonds top coat 2.jpg
simmonds top coat 2.jpg (26.39 KiB) Viewed 6878 times
simmonds top coat1.jpg
simmonds top coat1.jpg (22.64 KiB) Viewed 6878 times

tim briggs

Post by tim briggs »

colour sanding/mopping complete. The problem with painting in a drafty dusty shed with a £35 paint gun means more work after top coat. Looks cracking now and I have been smiling all weekend. Start re-assembly and measuring up for the bits that need replacing. One conundrum is the windscreen, it came with a big U shaped rubber where the glass meets the deck. It was unsightly and I am not sure how it was done when the boat was new. I have ordered a used navigation light on Ebay from the states, looks like it could do with re-chroming, but will see when it arrives.
Attachments
simmonds paint complete 4.jpg
simmonds paint complete 4.jpg (24.49 KiB) Viewed 6841 times
simmonds paint complete 3.jpg
simmonds paint complete 3.jpg (31.14 KiB) Viewed 6841 times
simmonds paint complete 2.jpg
simmonds paint complete 2.jpg (25.1 KiB) Viewed 6841 times
simmonds paint complete 1.jpg
simmonds paint complete 1.jpg (30.7 KiB) Viewed 6841 times

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Lovely work. The screen rubber was ordinarily black; it's incongruous on a light deck, so suggest you find the Taylor Made white channel in the US, or closer to home with Osculati in Italy. If it helps you, these are boats from my archive. Alan Fawcus is the expert on these, so worthwhile contacting the membership secretary for contact details, if he's still a member. The green one used to belong to him - think the boat is in France now. Lady Jayne is a MK1, with upturned bow,, filled triangular spray rail and a ski rail on the transom. Few have bow lamps..can't imagine rattling around in the dark with one!
Attachments
Cardiff CMBA 07 032 (Large).jpg
IMGP0060 (Large).JPG
Picture 947.jpg
Simmonds SKi Boat Red.jpg
Simmonds SKi Boat Red.jpg (12.3 KiB) Viewed 6773 times
Simmonds Ski Boat - wood strip.jpg
Simmonds Ski Boat.jpg
Picture 950.jpg
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...