Broom saturn restoration project

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Ncole1985
CMBA Member: 0

Broom saturn restoration project

Post by Ncole1985 »

Hi everyone
I've just purchased a fibreglass broom boat and this is my first small boat project or anything fibreglass for that matter ! Im looking for anyone that has worked on one or can help point me in the right direction with some of the parts that need doing.

I've begun separating the top from the Hull so I have more access. The problem I seem to have found is that the floor is sealed in and isn't wood. I have no idea whats under it or of it needs removing to strengthen it. Ive read that its a sealed floor for a buoyancy tank but it seems a bit soft in spots( still holds 22st of weight on it though).

Im just looking for general help, information and some words of inspiration 😄. If anyone wants photos I can email them as I can't seem to put them on here. Just PM me and I will send you my email address.

Thanks Nick

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Re: Broom saturn restoration project

Post by floater »

Welcome to the forum, there are a few Broom boats in the club so there should s be some wisdom to tap in to. Here is a good starter:
http://broomspeedboat.blogspot.com/sear ... results=14

Personally I wouldn't separate the hull and deck unless you really have to. It's nice to have the access but it leaves the hull quite floppy which can be a problem as you are working, particularly if you're taking out the floor as well. Also when it comes to joining the two parts at the end.

There's a how to guide regarding uploading photos in the forum support section here:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1030

Best of luck.

Ncole1985

Post by Ncole1985 »

Thanks for the reply ! I've had a look through the blog its intresting and has helped me to get a bit more of a bearing on it. The top had to come off so I can make repairs and strengthen the sides its pretty beaten up. Most would say its not worth the cost or time but I wanted a project that I could learn alot about fibreglass boats and repairing them. The floor and teansom are the parts that are concerning me but everything is repairable !

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

Useful guide for fibreglass boat repair here

https://www.westsystem.com/wp-content/u ... l-2015.pdf

It's written by West System so references their products but is equally applicable to any epoxy.

Or a good old fashioned book

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fiberglass-Boa ... 0071569146

Ncole1985

Post by Ncole1985 »

Thanks for those they are really useful! I've joined a forum on boatworkstoday seems pretty useful stuff.