Flecther or not ?

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Mavric
CMBA Member: 0

Flecther or not ?

Post by Mavric »

Thsnkyou for letting me join , i bought this boat with 2 stroke 60hp yamaha outboard and double axle trailer i paid £500 ? good deal or not ? needs a full interia and steering all in order now thanks in advance
Attachments
94945D99-53BD-4A79-8711-AFE6AA4AAC8A.jpeg
DCD26A46-AC43-486D-A9DB-018C46E41742.jpeg
2F24C5EF-8BC5-4D85-80DA-48931FCEBB67.jpeg
C862ABDE-1552-4698-931B-9D77C1740DF0.jpeg

haventaclue
CMBA Member: 924

Re: Flecther or not ?

Post by haventaclue »

If the engine is a runner ,no serious corrosion on the trailer and not a lot to do on the,what looks like a 14' Fletcher Arrow,I could be wrong,to me.Fair price.
The one thing I would say is,If the Yamaha is running,ignore the 100:1 mix and mix it at 50:1,just my opinion
no matter how bad it is,it can always get worse,I'm an optimist

Mavric

Post by Mavric »

I used to do 50 - 1 on my mariner 40hp before don’t know why they say 100-1 yeah all in pretty good condition to be fair , in another note when was this boat made or finished production just curious , also bought some Mini cooper alloys for the trailer because don’t like 10” steel wheels .

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Looks like a late 70s rig - that model we don't see a lot of either. The trailer is not a good match though, it's too short and doesn't support the boat properly where it matters, looks like rollers? and 4 wheels unnecessary for it's size / weight.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Mavric

Post by Mavric »

Don’t know about 70’s thought at least 1980 to 1990 as for trailer it dose support where it’s neant to support it has rollers front and middle of trailer and the rear of the boat is supported by fixed flat bunks either side and it’s not to small for the boat at all as for the twin axle in my opinion and others is far more stable than single axle trailers , but your entitled to your opinion :wot:

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Have to agree with Rapier I'm afraid. The trailer does not appear to have bunks that extend beyond the transom as a correctly supported boat would have, unless the pictures are just not showing it. The weight - which does the damage - is the engine bouncing as the boat is towed & that is attached to the transom which appears totally unsupported. The whole boat seems to overhang the trailer - fine on an inboard perhaps but a no no on an outboard boat.

Don't get the 4 wheels on a small boat trailer - twice the aggro & expense IMO. A properly set up single axle trailer will tow perfectly, I know of a single axle twin wheel trailer that has a Riva Junior on it - tows beautifully - agreed that is an unusual setup but it is a commercially built Italian trailer.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

If is the case, you have to be careful that there isn't already deformation in the form of a hook in the boat, as a result of a lack of support where it really matters. It will affect the handling. We all speak from personal experience, rather than just having an opinion.

Modern trailer tyres perish quickly, just bought some 145R10s after 3 years use, so that's an extra £100 every few years, plus £30 hubs / bearing kits, esp. if you launch and recover in saltwater ...rather spend the money on fuel.. :wot:

I think that Yamaha is the popular 48,55,60 twin from the mid-70s on...later versions were badged Mariner with the tie-in with Brunswick & Yamaha. Should be easy to find the model number online.

There's a good Fletcher group on Facebook that I dip into from time to time. They'd probably be able to identify the model for sure.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...