Mystery Finned marine ply speedboat restoration

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

blueskyguy
CMBA Member: 0

Mystery Finned marine ply speedboat restoration

Post by blueskyguy »

I've had this project waiting for over 20 years, its suffered in the waiting, but now I am getting my self organised to restore it. I've spent a lot of hours (20-30) trying to find anything about this boat to no avail.

Does anyone have any advice ("Don't do it" is NOT an option :-)) . I know I am going to have to replace a lot of the ply, but the mahogany frame is still rock solid.

Also if I can just track down what it is the restoration can be a lot more accurate than the detective guess work.

I've been going over it, there are no instruments just an Evenrude throttle. The windscreen was curved at the corners to judge by the paint marks. Anyone know where to source these - I am looking at drop heating perspex on a former otherwise, not something I want to try.
speedboat_IMG_7428.jpg

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Mystery Finned marine ply speedboat restoration

Post by Rapier »

Welcome, it's a Glen-L kit boat called an L Dorado. Screens are hard to find, but worthwhile seeing what Mario in Germany can do for you.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7803&p=23879&hilit=mario#p23879

https://www.boatdesigns.com/13-L-Dorado ... ducts/334/
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

blueskyguy

Post by blueskyguy »

Rapier wrote:Welcome, it's a Glen-L kit boat called an L Dorado. Screens are hard to find, but worthwhile seeing what Mario in Germany can do for you.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7803&p=23879&hilit=mario#p23879

https://www.boatdesigns.com/13-L-Dorado ... ducts/334/
THANK YOU Rapier, really appreciate the information, exactly what I needed! Although I think its a Swish having looked at the Glen L site, you can't see the length very easily in the picture and I forgot to add in the boat's dimensions, which are beam 6'4" and hull length about 15 foot. But I would never have found that in a million years without your help.

Knowing its a kit boat free's me up a bit, I have been stressing about accurately replicating the original dash, steering, etc. I have a Quicksliver ride guide rack and pinion wheel I picked up at the Beaulieu (a bargain at a fiver!) I picked up a nice bow nav light at the Essex boat jumble yesterday which may be a bit grander than it had originally, but should look pretty nice rechromed (below). No idea if it had a little flag pole on top if it, looks like it could have had, but the only example of this one I have found (on canadian ebay for about £230 no less) does not have one either, but that's not much of a sample.

cheers,

Lee (aka Blueskyguy)
nav light.jpg

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

It looks all there and the plans are available if you need them. I wouldn't sweat about the Aqua Meter bow lamp; it's monkey metal / mazak / zamak, so won't help to rechome with all that pitting, plus it did have a mast too... Wait for something similar to come up on ebay..Aqua Meter or Perko or Attwood...
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

blueskyguy

Post by blueskyguy »

Rapier wrote:It looks all there and the plans are available if you need them. I wouldn't sweat about the Aqua Meter bow lamp; it's monkey metal / mazak / zamak, so won't help to rechome with all that pitting, plus it did have a mast too... Wait for something similar to come up on ebay..Aqua Meter or Perko or Attwood...
Thanks for the advice, funny enough I've been reading up on how copper coating can be used to fill in pits prior to rechroming, but I plan to leave any thinking on that until after I have all the wood work done, and until then just keep a weather eye out for any goodies.

Cheers

Lee (aka BlueSkyGuy)

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

blueskyguy wrote:Thanks for the advice, funny enough I've been reading up on how copper coating can be used to fill in pits prior to rechroming, but I plan to leave any thinking on that until after I have all the wood work done, and until then just keep a weather eye out for any goodies.
I had this done some years back on a boat of mine (wooden decked fibreglass Broom) & it looked great (albeit still with pits but 'softer' in appearance) but it didn't last that well before it all went pear shaped again. I'm afraid mazak is just poor material in the first place for boat parts. I wouldn't waste you money on getting it rechromed.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!