Broom Scorpio Restoration

A dedicated area to showcase your ongoing and completed restorations.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

mrfixitwhite
CMBA Member: 0

Broom Scorpio Restoration

Post by mrfixitwhite »

Hi All
Well the story is quite a long one involving cousins in Dorset, their boat, crabbing and living near the coast.
after thinking about it for a while and trawling the net most insperation came from BroomBrooms boatshed Blog which im sure most have seen, and the rebirth of his Saturn.
cross this with Coronation street(if you watch you'll know where im coming from!) and you get the idea to purchace a boat! especially when my wife said "wouldn't it be great to do a boat up!"
I don't need a great deal of pushing hehe!!
Long story short we ended up with this Broom Scorpio- very Bond style we think- although you can imagine most things to make your purchace more desirable lol.
It is to be a long term project and Robin-BroomBroom-(who i emailed shortly after purchace!) seems to think it could be a good project- well thats good enough for me!

So there she is in all her 5 coat hand paint finish glory! although I can see the first 2 cots are a grey primer and then repainted red to match the original Gelcoat finish
This is the only thing that i can see is missing at the minute -not entirely sure what should be there to be honest -so if any other scorpio owner could fill me in with a picture i can see what i can do to replace said missing item!
Please ask away on anything as i really have no clues now apart from that its going back to gelcoat first and then we'll take it from there!

Graham

suicide jockey
CMBA Member: 755

Re: Broom Scorpio Restoration

Post by suicide jockey »

Nice shape! You are right about James Bond :) I am sure there is one near me on a canal that never seems to be used.
Plenty more boats in the sea!!!!!!

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

I am not 100 percent, but she looks more like a Saturn to me than a Scorpio :shock: , how long is she??
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

mrfixitwhite

Post by mrfixitwhite »

:hmmm: Good question -hadn't actually measured her at all!...... pitch black out -with tape in hand.......
15FT! give or take an inch
I hope that makes her a scorpio or i've spent hours researching the wrong boat haha!! although that would be quite funny :lol:

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Well 15ft would make her a Scorpio - the Saturn was 14ft, she just looks exactly as Broombroom's does to me but with a sliding canopy. Good luck with her anyway.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

BroomBroom
CMBA Member: 711

Post by BroomBroom »

Just for the record (and donning anorak) - manufacturers spec states Scorpio 15' - Saturn 13'9".
The other way of telling is that the Saturn had 'back to back' seats fitted as standard - not so with the Scorpio - you can tell by the mounts moulded into the floor. 'Gina' not a good example as the floor had been hacked about and I decided to make the rears forward facing. I have also heard (on fairly reliable authority) that the same hull was used for each model.

Keep us posted mrfixitwhite - and just look forward to getting all the old fittings off - you'll find out :lol:

Cheers,

Robin
(Whose garden/tool/boatworkshop/shed roof has just disappeared up the road in the gales so everything is now getting sopping wet - just not my year this one - hey ho...)
CMBA Webmaster/Forum Admin.
ex Broom Saturn 'Gina' http://broomspeedboat.blogspot.com/

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

The easiest way to tell the difference between a Saturn and a Scorpio, in the absence of roof, seats or a tape measure; is the raised central section of the front deck extends all the way back to the screen on Scorpios, but is both narrower and truncated on the Saturn.

:notworthy:

N
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

mrfixitwhite

Post by mrfixitwhite »

Ah that would have been easier knowing that lol :lol:
I have a few more up close pics now if anyone is interested-just showing all the bits that will come of eventually so i know where to put them back on !
but i have a couple of shots from inside up under the front deck- i was very amused to find it was my destined to be my boat as my surname was already written in there for me!
A difference again to the saturn maybe- my Broom is a Badge rather than a mould in the hull?

My hole in the hull at the back -to be filled in time!

and my name ready marked at production for when i bought it!( please don't dash my hopes and tell me it's the colour for the gelcoat on the hull ;) )

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Eeesh, it's going to be a big job, but most rewarding no doubt. Enjoy and don't despair when you don't get it done in time :juggle:
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

mrfixitwhite

Post by mrfixitwhite »

Hehe yes should be a big job but not alot phases me...its only a bit of stripping and painting after all lol :lol:
lucky enough theres no time limit on it so cant fall behind schedule!

Well my first buy was delivered and i now have 2 tubs of 'Removall 620' stripper
i had already tried the paint stripper i use on my furniture work and although it took the paint off -i know it will also damage and eat into the gelcoat pretty easily as well.

9am
Just for a test area i poured an amount onto the top front of the bow as thats where the coats are thickest
Its dead easy to use and also GRP/Gelcoat safe!
Spread it about leaving it approx 15mils thickness for each layer of paint( wot the heck is a mils! not got them on my tape measure!!and no not mm's!)
Although you dont need to cover it over i put some clear poly sheet over in case it rained and some wood to stop that blowing away.

By 11am it had started to work well with the area with less paint layers.

but i left it till 3pm before i got a plastic scraper and removed the thickest goo before giving it a scrub with a nylon brush and the hosepipe running.
pretty impressed with the ease of use and no worries about gelcoat at all.
although it has left a fair amount of paint on where it has many layers- i did apply in winter on a cold day -suggested temprature is about 11-13c.

from the little video you can see just how soft it has left the rest though and can be scraped off with just my finger nail :thumbsup:
i can see that when the weather is warmer or if i can back her into my workshop then stripping this little lady is gonna be a piece of cake :perfect: