Mystery Photo: inter-war power boat being rescued?

Brochures, parts lists, articles, manuals and more - scanned and shared for your use and enjoyment.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

AndyC
CMBA Member: 0

Mystery Photo: inter-war power boat being rescued?

Post by AndyC »

Hello all,

I don't know much about classic power boats but have found this among the family photos. I'm pretty sure that the location is Dartmouth because that is where the family lived. The larger vessel on the left is an Admiralty Harbour Service Launch, likely one of two based at Britannia Royal Naval College.

I see three outboards in the photo if I look closely. The chap behind the stern of the HSL seems to be wearing a cricket pullover. Not sure if this would be normal attire for this kind of activity?

The photo is pretty faded and having checked the print with a magnifier I think the scanner has got pretty much everything that can be had from it. Naturally there is nothing written on the back to help us.

I've not found any record of power boat racing in Dartmouth. There is an annual regatta every August but that is mainly sailing and rowing plus land based events.

So can anyone shed any light on a possible date for this?
Scan-210201-0001.jpg
Thank you and Merry Christmas.

Andy Carlson

Outboard Nut
CMBA Member: 145

Re: Mystery Photo: inter-war power boat being rescued?

Post by Outboard Nut »

Interesting photo, I also haven't found any reference to racing at Dartmouth, the nearest club I could find was from a snippet in a 1931 Motor Boat magazine about the Torquay and District Motor Club.
The partially submerged boat in the foreground has an outboard with what looks like an air intake horn which is similar to that on an Evinrude Model U dating from 1928ish.

AndyC
CMBA Member: 0

Re: Mystery Photo: inter-war power boat being rescued?

Post by AndyC »

Thanks for your reply. I was guessing some time in the 20s judging by the hats being worn by some of the ladies in the rowing boats.

My guess is that this shows the aftermath of a race... and perhaps not a very successful one so I wonder if that is why it never caught on in Dartmouth... but that is just a guess.