Moonfleet For Sale

Looking for your next project? Need to clear out the shed? Looking for that elusive part? This is the place to post.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Scandal
CMBA Member: 538

Moonfleet For Sale

Post by Scandal »

I have decided to part with my Moonfleet Aquila, Scandal, so that I can concentrate on my efforts on my new aquisition. I bought the Moonfleet just about five years ago and it was in very poor condition. The boat has had a lot of work completed since then including an engine rebuild, new professional paintwork, new upholstery made by Toomer and Hayter, new dashboard and instrumentation and refurbished trailer.

I have tried, where possible, to match the original equipment but there are a few exceptions including the custom made engine cover, the brushed steel dashboard and the two colour upholstery where there was nothing available to match. The engine, which is now very reliable, is the original 1960 Sunbeam Alpine 1592cc unit that was fitted when it was new. It has had new piston rings and main bearing shells, new oil pump, new cylinder head (unleaded Holbay spec) refurbished electrics and new battery. I have fitted a Weber Carburettor in place of the existing worn out Zenith,s which are available with the boat should you wish to refurbish them. Cooling is by a heat exhchanger which works successfully with a new Jabsco Pump.

The boat is very rare and whilst there are one or two being restored currently, it is the only one I have seen floating at a CMBA rally. This particular Moonfleet is also call a 'Silver Shadow' because it was fitted with the Alpine engine instead of the Zephyr 6 as in most Aquila's. The engine is not fitted with a gearbox but does have a clutch which works well with a new slave and master cylinder.

It goes quite fast for what it is and looks and sounds great on the water. At close quarter handling is similar to the delta without the reverse gear and quite a low bow.

I have really enjoyed the last five years with this boat. She started out as a bit of a wreck and I did turn up with it at rallies whilst it was being restored and it didn't always look good or run for very long. After each rally I improved the boat and moved forward with it to such an extent that it has won a number of awards at major rallies including 'Best Restoration' at Windermere and 'Best Fibreglass' the last two years at Cardiff.

The boats not perfect, and there's always a little bit more you can do. I know it's an old cliche, but I want it to go to a good home. That said, I won't be giving it away, as it has cost me more money than I want to add up. I don't really know what it's worth either, particularly in the current financial climate, but it is an honest boat, and a fair and reasonable offer will secure it, which I hope will ensure's it will be seen at future rallies. The boat is well known in the club, and is well liked by many enthusiasts.

Please look at the gallery for pictures or look at some of the old magazines. If you are interested please send a private message and I can send a few more pictures, or for further information.

Alisdair