Merc200 1961 outboard for sale

Looking for your next project? Need to clear out the shed? Looking for that elusive part? This is the place to post.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Woodwych
CMBA Member: 0

Merc200 1961 outboard for sale

Post by Woodwych »

Merc 1.jpg
I'll list this here before putting it on ebay in case there's a member interested.

22HP Merc 200 in cloud white.1961 I believe, serial number 1343454.
Runs very well and pumps water.I have had it serviced at Bill Higham who were amazed by its condition.Its had an oil change and new plugs.
Comes with original fuel tank, original remotes and the tiller arm if needed.
I'm in Cheshire and it would need collection.
If you need more info. or photos please let me know.
Price-wise I'm open to offers.
Merc 2.jpg

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Merc200 1961 outboard for sale

Post by Rapier »

Did Bill Higham replace the water pump impellor?

It is under the powerhead, halfway up the leg?

If not ask them why not - this is an absolute must with a motor that's not be used for awhile - is not a service on these autobox motors otherwise... Long ago correspondence with them indicated they know nothing about these motors. If they haven't replaced it, you and your family, or anyone else who buys this motor will be out on the water, it will fail and you, or them, will be watching ducks go by and will have to phone the RNLI, or whomever will rescue you and then request salvage of the boat. I bought a motor from these people and they said they'd replaced the impellor,; it was so perished, that when I had routine maintenance done soon after purchase, it was so set hard an in position that it had to be cut off the shaft with a grinder.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Woodwych

Post by Woodwych »

Now sold.
To a member with the knowledge and skills needed to keep it healthy and avoid an RNLI rescue :)

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Oh well done! Haven't forgotten about the pic..just need the time to scan and load.

Woodwych

Post by Woodwych »

Rapier wrote:Oh well done! Haven't forgotten about the pic..just need the time to scan and load.
Thanks!

A link here to a Merc200 for sale in America, interesting cos there are a couple of photos of the original adverts. And its a robust price...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-outboar ... 501wt_1205

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

They never make much money, as the experts discuss below. The conventional gearbox model was much more popular and easier to work on. Between 1966 to 1980 they sold millions of them.

http://johnsoldmercurysite.com/phpBB3/v ... d6df810283

Eccythump
CMBA Member: 2

Post by Eccythump »

Hi, i'm interested in purchasing a 1961 40hp Mercury 350 2 stroke short shaft at the moment, new impeller and plugs fitted, the paintwork looks tired, comes with a very rusty fuel tank, can I ask what sort of value and price do you think is reasonable to pay?

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

Welcome to the forum
That, i’m afraid is the perennial question, along with how much is my boat worth?

The answer is of course how much is someone prepared to pay for it. Old outboards and parts don’t appear to attract the interest that they once did and the days of the tinkering enthusiast seem to be moving over to the guys that want a pretty turn key boat, the classic car scene appears to be going through a similar transition. Various of us have shed fulls of old outboard and boat parts that we’ve accumulated over years of boat jumbles, but find now that there’s no interest when listed for sale.

The best way to establish a value for your motor would be to scour the market looking for similar ones for sale and more importantly sold. I don’t imagine a search in the UK will turn up many results but look at the US as well to gauge popularity and market. If looking at ebay use the completed listings search. I may be wrong but I’d suggest that as a buyer you’re in a strong position, I wouldn’t expect there to be a queue of keen punters cash in hand.

Best of luck, I hope you get it for a price that you and the seller are comfortable with and that you get much enjoyment from it.