Boat wanted

Looking for your next project? Need to clear out the shed? Looking for that elusive part? This is the place to post.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

RepentAtLeisure
CMBA Member: 0

Boat wanted

Post by RepentAtLeisure »

Hi all

I'm a newbie on both the forum and to the CMBA and am looking to purchase a boat to get me started so to speak.

I'm not after a major project as a starter...more something that someone else has sweated over!

So if anyone has anything they are thinking of selling on to make room in the garage please Private Message me.

Many thanks.

Paul
:wot:

Healey75

Re: Boat wanted

Post by Healey75 »

Hi and welcome...suggest posting a bit more info on what you want, large /small/inboard/outboard/cost/were you want to use it, etc, boats come up in the club regularly, there's a nice runabout in this months CMBA magazine.

If you are near to Chichester come down to Ivy Lake this Sunday (25th) to say hello and see some club boats afloat. I'll be around the silver camper van or on the water :woo:
Growing up is optional...

RepentAtLeisure

Thanks for the reply.

I guess i am looking for something not too big (16 feet or less?).

I want something suitable for a gentle chug on local rivers, but fast enough to take on some club meets to have some fun.

I don't have a fixed view on inboard or outboard really...I'm so green I need L plates!

I was looking at a Delta until it was removed from sale, but very open in outlook.

I don't think I am brave emough to go aluminium, so would prefer GRP. I am not what you would call technically gifted...hence my comments about wanting a finished project rather than a starter.

Price...depends on how nice I am to Mrs RepentAtLeisure!!!

Thanks.

Healey75

Post by Healey75 »

Couple of thoughts....some of the inboards don't have a reverse gear or even a clutch, the engine starts as soon as you turn the key. Deltas do have a clutch but no reverse. If you're on the river then reverse is the only way to put the brakes on. Also don't forget that you have to manoeuvre the boat around when it's ashore or at home if you have have to push it by hand then make sure it's light enough...(been there done that!) An outboard rig tends to be lighter than an inboard

Good luck with the search, happy to comment on anything you turn up...just send me a PM.

RepentAtLeisure

Thanks for that...all advice greatly appreciated and hopefully absorped.

I had discounted the Albatross craft because of the direct drive issue. I thought I could probably cope with the lack of reverse...time may tell if I go that way!

:hmmm:

Healey75

Post by Healey75 »

Do check with the river authorities you might want to use the boat on...I'm not sure on this but some may require reverse gear...anyone know ???

Diomedea

Post by Diomedea »

The boat safety scheme will generally apply and there is an exception for reverse for boats manufactured before a certain date.
Check here:
http://www.boatsafetyscheme.com/downloa ... ndices.pdf

However there are many other regulations about fuels etc so it would be best to check with an examiner as you should comply with the regulations and have the boat certified.

You need a licence to be on a river such as the Thames, and to get the license you need the certificate and insurance. The licence should be visible as go through a lock, but then, if you never go through a lock......(which is where you may need reverse)......

bigminiandy
CMBA Member: 739

Post by bigminiandy »

Hi Paul.

Told you it was worth posting on the forum. Lots of knowledge on here.

I'd also avoid anything with out reverse with the type of use the boat will get but wouldn't be put off with having no reverse. Don't get me wrong it's helpfully but it's something that you'll quickly become used too.

I've used the Fenn & Wood and my Delta on both rivers and the sea and have never had any problems with licencing. If your going to leave the boat afloat for the season there are different rules to those that are used on daily/weekend licences and you'll find that there are less implications attached to outboard powered boats in comparision to inboard. Mine stay out the water so many exemption apply. I've used both the boats on British Waterways water (River Soar, Seven), The River Avon (Shakespeare's river) and The Thames never without any issues, just make sure you take your insurance every where you go so you can actually gain your licence and many slipways also ask to look at insurance.

With regard to the Boat Safety Scheme when applying for a short term licence (day/weekend/week) you can self certify to say that your boat is in safe and working condition and carries things like safety equipment. You can find every little detail here http://www.boatsafetyscheme.com.
Life isn't a rehearsal!!!

Fenn and Wood restoration http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g36 ... ood%20MK2/

peter

Post by peter »

I have a broom javelin for sale. If you would to see some photos please email me.
Peter
pwilson@abbeywoods.ie

RepentAtLeisure

Hi all

Thank you for all of your help and offers of available boats.

I am now fixed up and look forward to meeting some of you at upcoming events.

Regards.

Paul