Moonfleet for sale (maybe...)

Looking for your next project? Need to clear out the shed? Looking for that elusive part? This is the place to post.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

seymourperry
CMBA Member: 0

Moonfleet for sale (maybe...)

Post by seymourperry »

Hi all,

I'm considering selling the Moonfleet boat I acquired a couple of months ago due to another project coming up.

Sante III is 14' 6" adapted Moonfleet on a fully working and original trailer and has a custom made vinyl cover.

Claimed when I bought it to be originally built in 1957 and fully restored in c.2003 this boat now needs some relatively minor work mainly cleaning cover, repairing minor dents (all of them superficial) on the hull and painting, repairing a couple of areas of the deck and then re-varnishing, repainting the trailer and repairing the spray rails at the front of the boat. I’ve already done the hard job of laminating them they just need to be finally shaped and painted when the hull is done.

It has a 1600cc Ford Crossflow engine (one of the last blocks ever produced and claimed to be the best) that was rebuilt in 2004 to include an unleaded head. When I started it for the first time anti-freeze came out of the exhaust indicating it had been properly winterised.

I’ve already done a lot of hours of work including replacing the engine fuel pump and spark plugs (now runs a treat!), repaired the throttle level and also had a new custom made throttle cable made by a local cable engineering company and fitted it. I've also installed a new marine battery and tested all of the electrics.

As well as all of this I have recently had it thoroughly inspected by a qualified Boat Safety Inspector and I have now completed the remediation work so this boat will very soon have its Boat Safety Certificate.

I’ve tried to focus on ensuring this boat is in full mechanical order and ready for the water and assumed the cosmetic tidying up can be done over the winter to make this a very splendid boat (see first picture when it was originally restored).

I'm really loathed and not necessarily in any rush to sell her but my question is, does anybody have an idea how much the boat is worth (potentially open to offers) before I test the water in the usual boat forums and possibly fleabay?

Any other questions or for more photos, drop me a pm.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards
Simon
Attachments
Originally restored boat c. 2003
Originally restored boat c. 2003
Current condition
Current condition

eastcoast

Re: Moonfleet for sale (maybe...)

Post by eastcoast »

Hi, your boat is not a moonfleet but a copy of a simmonds. I believe restored by a cmba member.
As to its value probably around what you paid for it on eBay.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Hi Simon, your Sante's not a Moonfleet, but a Simmonds with customised deck - is it ali under the wood? It has modified spray rails, the wrong motor (which is no bad thing) and enough deck hardware to open a chandlers.

In original form Simmonds Ski Boats are entirely ali and powered by the 1703cc Ford. To a Simmonds collector she'll be too much to put right, but to someone who wants something different, she'll get as much as they'd be prepared to pay. An unmolested original Simmonds will make 3 to 3.5K in good times, IMO I'd hazard a guess in this climate about 1 to 1.5k less than that.

This one changed hands about 5 years ago for not very much.

http://www.simmonds-motorlaunches.co.uk/boatsale01.htm
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

eastcoast

Post by eastcoast »

Hi, Rapier, this was restored by Ian c, it's not Ali but glassfibre with wood deck. Quite a one off I imagine, never seen another. I wonder if someone took a plug from one they owned or a hullwood factory worker maybe.

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Oh, I stand corrected, nice work then..and no leaky rivets.

Howstar

Post by Howstar »

Looks a very nice boat 2 to 3 k ++possiable 5k, but best selling in the spring :wot: :wot: :wot:

craigvmax

Post by craigvmax »

drop me a line if you do decide to sell and could deliver, best regards

seymourperry

Post by seymourperry »

Thanks all for your responses. Thought a picture of the original boat would be helpful to understand it's origins.
Attachments
Restoration Photo.jpg

craigvmax

Post by craigvmax »

do you have anymore current photos pls

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »