Albatross Alpine or similar Sunbeam engine sport boat wanted

Looking for your next project? Need to clear out the shed? Looking for that elusive part? This is the place to post.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Howstar
CMBA Member: 0

Re: Albatross Alpine or similar Sunbeam engine sport boat wanted

Post by Howstar »

I have been buzy with the Scandal, I have put a bigger heat exchanger on it , so been changing loads of hose etc,
I also but some foam under the floor to keep it buoyant .and replace the floor while I have been at it .varnish etc

Taking it to Ireland, so got it ship shape

Not seen any other sunbeam boat for sale yet, but now's the time they come out of the wood work

stratfordrapier

Post by stratfordrapier »

The guy who was selling the Healey (pile of sticks) on ebay recently has two Albatrosses in his yard awating restoration ( a two and a four seater) you could try him as he also restores Jenson and Bristol cars and im sure may have an engine or too hiding amongst his barns.

I think his mobile is 07791157017 and his name is Paul.

Happy hunting

Tim

Howstar

Post by Howstar »

http://alpine.forumup.com/viewtopic.php ... rum=alpine

I saw this another web site perhaps we could meet up with a car club

Has some of you know I have a liking for my boats as well Pompey, My Alpines, the wife & kids, And the latest addition to the family, Pepper a Husamute resque dog, leave you to sort out order of priority !!,
Anyway if anyone else has a interest in classic boats the classic motor boat association held its first meeting on Ivy Lake Chichester in november and had sutch a good responce that they intend to return twice this year the first of which is Sunday 27 Th March ,second is sunday NOV 6 tH

this is agreat day out with people of a kindered spirit they love there classic boats as we love an look after our cars ( well most of us ? ),
And if your lucky you may get an offer of a ride as i did but had to leave
maybe nexed time i hope !!.

And of course some of us The link to alpines is that the Albatrose ran a marinised version of the 1600cc Rootes engine which i belive was direct drive now that would be fun , When is time to go astern, ( backwards to you land lubbers ) any oter info would be interesting,

any one interested in coming down to this unusul event contact me and will book lunch at the royal Oak Langstone Harbour ( which is the pub we all met at before getting ferry to Le/Mans, Nice food good beer,

Below are some comment from there forum,

it was a great introduction to the club. Everyone we spoke to was so friendly and welcoming. Me and my boys really enjoyed watching you go round and round making us dizzy and slightly jealous of your beautiful boats. It has inspired me to crack on with my Broom project.

Thanks to the couple we were speaking to about their Broom (Sorry I've forgot your names!), you have given me some great ideas for my project. Also it was great to see "Gina" in the flesh so to speak, after following the blog on line (what a great looking boat)

Hopefully we will meet up again soon and chat to more people, and maybe once I've signed up for membership we can give our boat a run.

suicide jockey , are you a member of S,A,O,C, if so contact me as we semm to have same interests ??

Those dates have gone straight on my year planner and I might be a bit stupid to say this!!!!!!!!

Good buy

Post by Good buy »

Now this is what you are looking for!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-0L-v6-inboard-s ... 3a66b6ddf6

Tatra Man
CMBA Member: 825

Post by Tatra Man »

I saw that, but isn't it a Moonfleet Aquila - the Ford V6 version of Howstar's Alpine engined Moonfleet Silver Shadow?
I hope my new Alpine floats better than my old one!

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Nope. I don't know what it is but it isn't an Aquila, plus they had the straight six Ford, not the V6 as that came later on.

**Edit** Its a Silver Shadow see HERE
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Tatra Man
CMBA Member: 825

Post by Tatra Man »

From the other thread about the above boat:-
moonman wrote:This is a MOONFLEET SILVER SHADOW from about 1967 it seems to have most of its original parts , looking at the photos it needs a screen a new dash and a new white D rubber .Looks like its still in gelcoat as well .This would be a great boat to have in the club i would love it as it is the same colour combination as my AQUILA but i have no more space at home .Someone in the club please buy it! Tony
From an earlier thread entitled "Moonfleets":-
moonman wrote:I have seen lots of Moonfleets posts lately so thought i would join the party. The Moonfleet that Howstar now has is actually called a 'Silver Shadow' looks exactly the same as an 'Aquila' but has a sunbeam engine (85 bhp) i have a Moonfleet Brochure here with all the pictures and details. The name 'Silver Shadow' was later dropped from this model and went on to the V6 version (1967) which was the same hull as the 'Aquila' but without the fins. This model ran from 1967 to 1972.

Hope this helps, any info needed please reply on this forum as i am a Moonfleet nut!

Tony.
So have I got it right that the earlier boats of this design had fins and were called Aquila with the Ford straight 6 and Silver Shadow with the Sunbeam Alpine and later boats didn't have fins, all had the Ford V6 and were called Silver Shadow?
I hope my new Alpine floats better than my old one!

Howstar

Post by Howstar »

Technically most Aquila where the Ford and gearbox , with fins jet ducts
Then silver shadow had the sunbeam alpine engine with fins jet ducts.
Then later ones had the no fins , there still called Aquila but had Ford egnine
Silver shadow with no fins had sunbeam alpine engine

I think most people link the AQUILA to the fins and jet ducts

There was conquest and white lady and others that had ford consol and alpine engine.

I have just but the engine back in my for third time know,
first time fit new engine
2 clutch arm was wrong
3rd time bad oil leak it ran for about 2hrs on Windermere last weekend now fix oil and taking upto loch Lomond next week.

There seems to be more power at low rev it doing 20 mph at 2500 revs , I did not take above that for new engine bit more tunning to do

moonman

Post by moonman »

I will try to sort out the confusion out regarding the AQUILA and SILVER SHADOW models.In 1963 the AQUILA model with the Ford Zephyr 6 with Raymond Mays conversion, 130hp or Ford ZODIAC engine 110hp where the only engine choices however as the years went by Moonfleet where asked by their customers for a smaller engine option this was to be called the SILVER SHADOW.This boat was the same length 15ft 6 had the fins etc only this time the was a SUNBEAM ALPINE 85HP this model had quite a short production run. In about 1967 MOONFLEET introduced a new model but with that old name again SILVER SHADOW this model was the same length as the AQUILA 15ft 6 but this time no fins .The varnished fore deck remained the same but now got a varnished aft deck too.Engine power on this model was Ford Zodiac MK4 V6 3 litre this was by far the most popular MOONFLEET model with many ski clubs up and down the country having them .I hope this clears up any confusion. Tony

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Thank you for that Tony. :thumbsup: :perfect:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!