Towing my Boat to Italy

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Towing my Boat to Italy

Post by Rapier »

The Broom still looks great!

Very familiar with that part of the Lake. Years ago, we were allowed moorings off Domaso and used to use the slipway (north of Nautica Domaso), but the new Marina Di Domaso has all the facilities you need, including trailer storage and craning in and out (see pic). The staff there are really great and efficient, but speak only a little english. They have a fuel pump on a pontoon, so is easy to fill up before you head off for the day.

Most of the towns have public pontoons, close to the ferry stops, some charge, some don't. When you get there ask Nautica Domaso - there are so many Dutch and German boaters that they'll give you the run down. In Domaso, Pizzeria Il Timone in Domaso is a pleasant pizzeria, Enoteca Del Porto is a favourite; is wine cellar with home-cooked food, with wines from all over and a nice selection of grappa.

Do stop overnight en-route - most formula 1s, or similar have a decent car park and rooms that overlook it. Was our biggest worry, especially as the boat has everything in it, tents, tanks, skis, flares, anchor, oars, etc etc..but I just covered it and locked the hitch. I go via Zurich and can do it in a day, but is a longer haul for you and will be made much easier by a night-stop. Annecy is a great lake too, so if you fancy a break there is very worthwhile.

Do visit this museum, it is absolutely fabulous and is now open to the public - am not sure how to access it from the water, but is a short drive from Domaso : http://www.museobarcalariana.it/
Attachments
P1190568 (Large).JPG
IMG_2217 (Large).JPG
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

LaDauphine

Post by LaDauphine »

We have stopped at various hotels on the continent when towing with no problems. Just make sure you do not leave stuff in the boat.

Don’t thrash the car on the steep alpine passes even though a light boat...

Don’t forget spares for the boat too.

Last thought, don’t forget to check your boat before getting in the transport home, just in case you are carrying stowaways!

R

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

kwoffa wrote:
Rapier wrote:Did you get your ICC in a lucky packet? ;)
.. for your information The ICC was given to me by the RYA on completion of my yachtmasters several years ago !
I thought so.

kgarla
CMBA Member: 143

Post by kgarla »

HI Broompices, We have towed on the continent for about 20 years now with overnight stays mainly at Campaniles all over. Never had a problem as regards security. But we do use a long length of heavy chain to lock the trailer to the car or lamp post! also don't forget to lock the BOAT to the trailer. I seem to remember that you are required to have the CEVNI book with you on the water when boating so take it with a few good sealable plastic bags. Watch out for towing speed limits. They vary from country to country and more strangely because your tow car is so good you may find you will have a lower speed limit in some countries where your towing speed is limited by what you CAN tow, not what you ARE towing. Otherwise the suggestions by other entries above are fairly comprehensive. Did anyone state you should have your V5 for your car with you? Make sure your breakdown cover covers trailers abroad. Have a great time. Check out the Boat Museum, Via Statale, 139, Pianello del Lario. Massive collection of a CMBA member friend. Cheers Kgarla

broompisces
CMBA Member: 768

Post by broompisces »

Given the lack of traffic on this forum, I didn't post any more about my proposed trip to Lake Como. But... we went there in July and had a great time. Hopefully with the new website up and running, this forum will regain traffic. Here's a picture of the tub at Varenna whist we dined early evening in a lakeside restaurant.
IMG_3077.jpeg

kwoffa
CMBA Member: 1180

Post by kwoffa »

Looks delightfull...Well done !

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Glad you made it and had fun. A special place. Did you get to the Museum?

Found this pic of a Pisces that I almost bought years ago...the owner said he'd managed to get 51.4mph out of it, so they're no slouches. Wonder where it and the blue deluxe are now?
Attachments
101_0166.JPG

broompisces
CMBA Member: 768

Post by broompisces »

Sadly, never made the museum... too busy eating, drinking (apart from the driver), swimming and skiing. Hopefully going back next year and catch the museum then. That speed of over 50mph seems incredible. The odd time I have fully opened the taps, I got max of 43mph odds. Maybe that one had a 140hp?

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Sounds like Como to a T, we're looking forward to our next trip. Would also like to go to Maggiore again, with a boat.

The green one had a 140, so that explains the delta - the guy was running a 19 pitch 3 blade at the time.

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

broompisces wrote:Given the lack of traffic on this forum, I didn't post any more about my proposed trip to Lake Como. But... we went there in July and had a great time. Hopefully with the new website up and running, this forum will regain traffic. Here's a picture of the tub at Varenna whist we dined early evening in a lakeside restaurant.
IMG_3077.jpeg
Well done!

Glad it all worked out for you. We spent a long weekend at Mennagio 17th - 20th Sept. It rained NON STOP from Friday eve until the plane lifted of into it 23.30 Sunday! Wasn't much better Thursday so I definitely feel you had better weather :hilarious: !

I know it wasn't at its best but I think I prefer Garda, feel like home from home to me these days.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!