Trailer rollers - stuck firm...

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Tarquin
CMBA Member: 0

Trailer rollers - stuck firm...

Post by Tarquin »

I picked up an old trailer from Ebay and thought with a bit of heat, penetrating oil and a 6lb hammer i'd be able to free the screw clamps that loosen to allow free movement of the roller stems which had slightly rusted and had a coat of pain brushed over. I have 6 to sort and can't get a mm of movement my metalworking skills being poor.

I'm looking for one of two things. Any tricks of the trade................... or what do you call somebody who offers a mobile service repairing farm machinery etc.,? I've looked up metalworkers and welders come up, steel fabricators and sheet metal workers comes up etc.,

hwlp!

haventaclue
CMBA Member: 924

Re: Trailer rollers - stuck firm...

Post by haventaclue »

Lots of heat and a bigger hammer :D Heat,penetrating oil,heat,penetrating oil.I have also found using plumbers freezing spray works with heat, http://www.screwfix.com/p/pipe-freezing-kit-220ml/13369# This stuff.Heat 'till nearly red,then spray it on.The sudden shock can break the rust seal.This stuff will also work,use the can upside down.http://office.needa.ie/durable-powercle ... 7Qod_9EPAw ,and don't forget to get a bucket of patience as well ;)
no matter how bad it is,it can always get worse,I'm an optimist

Tarquin

Post by Tarquin »

Many thanks HAC...

I think I might have an answer. I'm going to try and take the whole units off (two bolts) and chuck them at an engineering company to sort :hmmm:

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Depending on what boat is going on the trailer you might want to consider bunks instead of rolllers. Rollers can be very damaging to boats - especially wooden boats, bunks are much kinder to the boat.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Tarquin

Post by Tarquin »

Picking these up this week from a local blacksmith/metalworker... I don't like to rush things :hilarious:

Before I finally put the trailer good use I aim to bosh it over with a lick of paint.

I'd normally reach for the Hammerite but a couple of stories online suggest it's not great for trailers so any suggestions?

Diomedea

Post by Diomedea »

If you are serious about the trailer then it needs to be blast cleaned, hot zinc spray coated, primed then a good quality enamel paint.
Will cost a bit but it won't rust.

Tarquin

Post by Tarquin »

To be honest I bought a bit of a pig and have had to put 4 new wheels, tyres, mudguards and a new coupling on it, am paying £40 to free the rollers and have new turnkeys made with more expense to come, broke down on the M25 when bringing it home and had to pay the AA £280 to get home so it's getting a lick of paint :lol:

Seriously. Appreciate what you are saying and will follow your advice in due course but the intention is to keep any rust at bay for now. :thumbsup: