Scolopendra winner of yachtsman's cup 1903

Want to talk about classic motorboats, recent and forthcoming CMBA events or your latest escapades? This is the place to do it!

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Scolopendra winner of yachtsman's cup 1903

Post by sean-nós »

This is a boat that I have been keeping an eye on for a few years now. She raced in the first Harmsworth Trophy in Cork in 1903 against two other boats Napier and Beadle's Durandel. Scolopendra is the only boat left and is possibly the oldest petrol engine boat left in the world.

I can't find much info on Beadle's Durandel but if any of you Google heads can find a photo that would be great :D

The overall winner on the day was Napier much to the shock of onlookers as it was driven by Dorothy Levitt also famous for her motor racing in the day, But later I found a news paper clipping saying that win was overturned giving the win to scolopendra :D

"The next time scolopendra turned up was the 1904 Motor show at Crystal Palace. This is taken from GRACE'S GUIDE.

The marine section comprises many interesting features, not the least of which is the 30ft. racing launch Scolopendra, built by John J. Thornycroft and Co., Limited, Chiswick, which won the 50-guinea Yachtsman's cup at Cork last summer. The craft has a total length of 30ft. with a beam of 5ft., draught of hull only 8in., and extreme draught at the propeller 17.5in. She is propelled by a 20-brake horse-power petrol motor having four cylinders, and running at a normal speed of 1,000 revolutions per minute. The motor is of this firm's standard pattern, and is fitted with either mechanical or automatic inlet valves. Reversing and stopping is effected by means of a Hele-Shaw friction clutch, which admits of rapid manoeuvring without shock, while being highly efficient. The propeller is of bronze, and of the well-known Thornycroft pattern. The engine is started from rest by means of a ratchet arrangement, with a lever or crank handle, and its speed when running is regulated between certain limits by means of advance spark gear and the governor throttle. Six runs over the measured mile, with two persons on board, gave a mean speed of 18.2 miles per hour."

After that she somehow turned up racing in Canada.

Then after a bit of digging around was sent this letter and the photos of the plate.

Mr R W Kitchen was a contractor in Parry Sound Ontario and used the boat as his personal launch till 1971 when it was bought by a Mr Bruce Devine who was a great help with my research he intended to restore her but after finding another old boat that was owned by his grandfather he put his time and effort into that and decided to sell scolopendra to a famous collector Thomas Mittler here is some of his collection http://public.fotki.com/LWLoring/tom-mittler-memoria/ :eek:
Sadly Mr Mittler died in june 2010 and his estate was to be sold off along with scolopendra that was under restoration at the time I have been in touch with the executor of the estate in the hope of bring her back to Cork for the Harmsworth trophy event in 2014, the price of the boat a reconditioned 4 cylinder Rochester engine and shipping is looking at about €50.000 :eek: that's about 3 zeros out of my reach :D I have asked a few of the big names in boating around Ireland but as yet nothing has come of it :(

sean-nós

Re: Scolopendra winner of yachtsman's cup 1903

Post by sean-nós »

This is some of the work that has been done and how she is now. It would be sad to miss out on this boat as the chance might never come up again so if anyone has a spare €50.000 give me a shout :D

Fovargue-Davies
CMBA Member: 0

Post by Fovargue-Davies »

Good afternoon All; I'm in the process of preparing an article for Classic Sailor magazine, which will include some reference to Scolopendra; it would be really good to be able to include a good picture of her in all her glory (either racing, or chasing illegal fishermen). Does anyone have one I could use at a reasonable res?

Cheers,

Marc

sean-nós

Post by sean-nós »

Hi Marc I have been following her for a few years now and probably have all the photos of her here http://s753.photobucket.com/user/fergal ... login=true she is back in the UK now getting finished off I think the new owner is still looking for a thornycroft, A4 engine. http://www.oldmarineengine.com/discus/m ... 59256.html if anyone has one lying around :x