Anzani pilots

For pre 1975 outboards and race motors only.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Anzani pilots

Post by floater »

Been spending a bit of time tinkering with a couple of Anzani pilots inspired by talk of a dinghy day. The skinny one with the small tank is, I think an early one. It has an Amal carb and a more basic tube leg. Mechanically it is quite worn and needed a bit of effort to get it running including a replacement coil sourced from Ebay and a new wobble pump impeller which i had to make. The cooling tube was also blocked and the prop shaft needed a new bearing making. Internally the crank is quite sloppy but the phosphor bronze bearings measure up as whole sizes and the crank itself does not appear to have great signs of wear. I have another crank that measures up the same so i'm wondering it they were just built with generous clearances
The larger one is a later version with a cast leg, Zenith carb and larger tank. This was mechanically in far better condition including a nice wobble pump impeller but had suffered a very shoddy re-paint by a blind person who painted in braille. I think originally it would have been painted white all over but having stripped all of the paint I quite liked the polished look so now only the tank barrel and tiller ring are painted.

If they were exactly the same it would have been interesting to have set up a twin motor installation on the 8ft dinghy, giving a total of about 4HP :wot:
Attachments
together
together
Smaller, older
Smaller, older
Clean and tidy
Clean and tidy
As bought
As bought

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Anzani pilots

Post by Rapier »

Very nice indeed. Spurs me on to get a motor ready.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

We had five small old motors, inc. the Captains Pilot (geddit) on display at the boat show, very popular with the public.

Nice motosr Dave.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Post by sean-nós »

Nice work :thumbsup: one more and you can make one of these :D

Healey75

Post by Healey75 »

Will have low volume mould to cast new water pump rubbers, using a new rubber as pattern.
Growing up is optional...

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

I bandsawed a blank rough shape for mine from 1/2 inch rubber sheet, made a punch from a sharpened piece of gas pipe to cut the hole them mounted the blank on another piece of gas pipe held in the lathe chuck and used a Dremmel with a sanding drum mounted to the toolpost to shape the outside, turning the chuck slowly by hand.