Mercury 7.5hp blue band

For pre 1975 outboards and race motors only.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

bigminiandy
CMBA Member: 739

Re: Mercury 7.5hp blue band

Post by bigminiandy »

Right first will check the compression and then will try the easy start route with a quick flick of choke and see if I get any further. Will have a look in the morning. Also keep meaning to post the serial number to make sure the colours and the age match.

Thank you :thumbsup:
Life isn't a rehearsal!!!

Fenn and Wood restoration http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g36 ... ood%20MK2/

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Be careful with easy start - it can be an engine wrecker & should never be needed if the motor is up together.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

Friends in the old car community say that an engine can get addicted to easy start, not sure how that happens. I used to give my motor a squirt of premix down each plughole before trying to start it, mainly because it did not get regular use so was always completely dry. Also being a pull start you need it to fire up as soon as possible. :heat:

bigminiandy

Post by bigminiandy »

So use fuel mix not easy start. :thumbsup: I guess with 2 stoke it won't provide the lubrication that is needed for the bearings.

Yes addition is true. I've got a friend with a mini that's hooked on it. Will not start unless unless its used regardless of choke or not. Not sure how it happens tho. I guess something like a carb clean and a new set of plugs may resolve it :hmmm:

Fenn and Wood restoration http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g36 ... ood%20MK2/

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

My experience with diesels was that the piston rings break with over use of 'whiff easy' as we knew it. Using it raises the compression hugely (especially on diesels) resulting in broken rings & an addicted engine. People keep on squirting it down the poor things throat when it wont start & it ends up with way too much in it & when it does eventually fire damage is done. Not sure that would be an issue on a 2 stoke outboard with correct occasional use but be aware.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

haventaclue
CMBA Member: 924

Post by haventaclue »

"The fuel is getting through as once it's been pulled over a few times the plugs are wet."
The reason I suggested the easy start was,as there is a lot of fuel mix already in the cyls,so they are well lubricated,and as the mix is not igniting,a few squirts to fire it up would do no harm.And only to see if she'll fire up
no matter how bad it is,it can always get worse,I'm an optimist

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Never used the stuff until this pic in 2005. Was a very clean '73 9.5 down to 72psi on one pot and 90psi on the other that I was in no mood to strip. Spent 3 months turning it over with oil down the bores - woke up one morning determined to do something with it, gave it a squirt, fired it up and got it hotter than the proverbial in the drum and then checked compression which had returned to normal. Because I couldn't find the rare external remote kit to convert it, I popped it on ebay with this pic and had a punter give me a sarcastic comment, which I never understood...until Alacrity filled in the details later.
Attachments
IMG_2031 (Large).JPG
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

bigminiandy

Post by bigminiandy »

Might that be a can of easy start on the wall! :hilarious:

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

We're all sitting on tenterhooks here....
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

haventaclue
CMBA Member: 924

Post by haventaclue »

Rapier wrote: I popped it on ebay with this pic and had a punter give me a sarcastic comment, which I never understood...until Alacrity filled in the details later.
OK,I have to ask,what did the punter say :lol: :lol: :lol:
no matter how bad it is,it can always get worse,I'm an optimist