14hp crecent outboard info/ parts

For pre 1975 outboards and race motors only.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

adie
CMBA Member: 0

14hp crecent outboard info/ parts

Post by adie »

Hi everyone, i hope am i posting in the right category? is the the crecent pre 1975? im after info and advice i recently got my hands on a little fishing boat that came with a 14 hp crecent, the guy could not show me the engine running but as it looked in such good condition i took a gamble on it and guess it would be ok, i have had problems with it starting as the choke does not seem to pull the choke cable out anymore, after pulling the choke cable manually it fired up and run, shifted it into gear and that was fine but only a tiny splatter of water came out from the cooling system. i have tried briefly tried to gain acccess to the impeller but failed i only just managed to get the leg back on so gave up. I then guess it would be beter to take it to my local marine engineer but because of its age they said there was nothing they could to as they cant get parts....my question is does anyone know where i can get an impeller or know of another impeller that will fit???.... if there is a chance in finding a replacement impeller can anyone advise on how to replace? or should i just sell it on as spairs or repairs????......or is there anything i can do that may help or fit the old impellor???

thanks in advance, Adie.

BroomBroom
CMBA Member: 711

Re: 14hp crecent outboard info/ parts

Post by BroomBroom »

Hi Adie,

Hmmmm - I'm no expert but I believe Crescent were similar to and/or owned by Volvo at one time - not that that helps much...
I've heard that the chance of finding spares is slim for these as they ceased production back in the early 70's.

Certainly sounds as if you need to change the impellor - so good luck with your quest.
There are some real experts on this forum who may advise your best course of action...

Robin
CMBA Webmaster/Forum Admin.
ex Broom Saturn 'Gina' http://broomspeedboat.blogspot.com/

adie

Post by adie »

yes heard volvo brought them out as they were the rivals at the time but they failed to continue production, they just stopped. seems as shame as it looks like it was a good little engine in its time, and for its age still looks very good inside and out, if parts were avalible im sure lots of them would still be running today, such a shame something as small as an impellor may be the end of this little engine. i still have the users manual too!
cheers Robin

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Post by se7en »

Yes, the Crescent and the penta of that age are the same, I worked for them at that time, there are two impellers and pumps in that engine, one on top of the other, the top one is for the bilge pump, the bottom one is the cooling pump, they are both the same part, the impeller # 2853-1046-11, gosh, thirtyfive years ago and I can still remember the part number, anyway, parts are no longer available,I have seen them from time to time on ebay, some guy down it cornwall had some, I'll put a post up if you need to know how to remove the lower unit, however if I were you I'd see if I could find some impellers first, it will need them, the reason I can remember the part number is that the impellers had a bad habit of unbonding them selves, that was then, you can bet your boots it will need some now.

adie

Post by adie »

lol can't belive you know the part number lol, do the impellors look anything like the ones we see today or are they totally unique? just wandering if i could modify or addapt another impellor on the market??? you say they become unbonded... if this is the case can one be cleaned up and rebonded? just got it running a moment ago again... bit or a splutter of water but no more than a few drips. where is the water intate, im unclear? do may other engines have a bilge pump built in..? and it has a power take off for light...!
If there is a chance in fixing the impellors i would like to get them out and investigate, however im not really the best man for the job unless you can advise?

cheers.....there is light at the end of the tunnel :D

adie

Post by adie »

se7en

Post by se7en »

Yes there the right impellors, you will need two, if you dont, the plate between the top and bottom pump will distort and the bottom pump will lose presure, and it won't cool .

adie

Post by adie »

thats a shame was hoping to keep the costs down...quite expensive for a small impellor. i have emailed him to ask if he has 2 and if he can do a discount.
should i keep this engine if i get it going or is there a market for an engine this old? i have seen parts on ebay for simular engines they seem to be very expensive, if i cant get it goinig is it worth breaking for parts?.....im just not sure if its so old people wont be interested or because of its age people will be more interested?

cheers again se7en for your help.

se7en

Post by se7en »

They are a nice little engine, however, they are not the kind of engine you should own if you are not able to do your own mantainence, these engines are a loop scavige two stroke, most outboards are deflecter piston/crossflow design, they need a bit more looking after , and are a fussy engine when it comes to setting up the ignition.
If you want the engine as a little bit of history,and are using it on lakes or canals great, if you want the engine to go and do some fishing offshore, go and buy a modern one,this engine is at least 35years old, and you can't get spares, you shouldn't take anything like that to sea.
I worked for Crescent for nine years, I ran there dealer service school for two years, but I wouldn't use one , not now, to much maintanance, no parts availability, and not many people know much about them.

adie

Post by adie »

ok thanks will look into my opptions and see whats best. you never know someone may like it.
Attachments
boats and engines 001.jpg