essex v6 fuel problem

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

piebald1962
CMBA Member: 499

essex v6 fuel problem

Post by piebald1962 »

Finally got the Delta on the water. Took her to Pentney lakes. I have a fuel starvation problem i think. Also tried her on the broads. The problem is when running at 30 mph she seems fine, every now and then it seems as though the engine is going to die. If you ease back on the throttle she picks up again. If you keep exelerating and the engine dies completely, she will not start . Leave her for 10 to 20 seconds and she fires up straight away. I have a electric fuel pump on her also tried another brand new one delivering 125 litres hour, 27.5 gallons an hour.It does the same with both pumps. The other is a high performance pump that came with the boat. The fuel tank is clean as had top of and cleaned out. The fuel pick up is from the back end of the tank. All fuel hoses are 3/8" bore and it goes into a 1/4" union on the carburetter which is the standard fitting for the carb. The carb is the standard twin choke webber. I am now out of any ideas of what to do next. Any help or advice will be much apreciated.
Many thanks Stephen

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Re: essex v6 fuel problem

Post by Alacrity »

Tank vent? Try running with the filler cap off. Can she draw enough air? Not an issue as far as I know on the V6 but it the bonnet has been modified . . . ? Again try running with the bonnet ajar.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

haventaclue
CMBA Member: 924

Post by haventaclue »

Clamped tight enough where the fuel line meet the carburettor? Just a thought as the clip needs to squeeze an extra 1/8". 1/4" bore standard,maybe try a bigger bore union?
no matter how bad it is,it can always get worse,I'm an optimist

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

Hi just a thought but I had exactly the same symptoms when I ran up my albatross engine that had been rebuilt after 20 odd years in storage. After numerous carb and fuel pump strip downs the problem was found to be the coil breaking down either when it was getting hot or under load. New coil fitted and it runs just fine!

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

Jaguar wrote:Hi just a thought but I had exactly the same symptoms when I ran up my albatross engine that had been rebuilt after 20 odd years in storage. After numerous carb and fuel pump strip downs the problem was found to be the coil breaking down either when it was getting hot or under load. New coil fitted and it runs just fine!
I too would say change the coil i had a similar problem with an old van of mine years ago. floor it and it would gradually die but lower revs were fine. I too went looking on the fuel side in search of starvation, only when I swapped the coil did it miraculously start to behave

LaDauphine

Post by LaDauphine »

Bizarrely, also try changing the rotor arm in the distributor. we had some problems early on (1979?) with power intermittently dropping off in the Climax, and after much head-scratching and trying different, a fresh rotor arm solved it. The old one had a tiny crack not immediately obvious.

Can't explain why, but at least they are cheap!

Please let us know what works.

R

neilgreenfield
CMBA Member: 0

Post by neilgreenfield »

Hi
Ive just found your thread.. and wondered if you could help?

i have a delta v6, im restoring, and have a problem know the raw water cooling path... the thermostat cap has been replaced, with a 3 inlet/outlet thing.. not sure which does where..

also, i have a new weber 38dgms carb... and it seems to have 3 inelts and outlets.. discovered what 2 do.. not the others :-)

thank you

neil

neilgreenfield

Post by neilgreenfield »

ps. i bought a brand new electronic dizzy ... the whole thing for £200... bargain i reckon

Marty
CMBA Member: 848

Post by Marty »

Hopefully you have fixed the problem, but if not, these carbs can be prone to warping on the base (bottom flange), it is barely visible but can open up when the engine gets warm and sucks in air causing the problems you describe.
Take the carb off and use a piece of glass on the base to check for warping. If you find there is, you can sort it yourself by rubbing the base on some fine sandpaper placed on a FLAT surface, the alloy is quite soft, so go easy on it.

loveboats

Post by loveboats »

piebald1962 wrote:Finally got the Delta on the water. Took her to Pentney lakes. I have a fuel starvation problem i think. Also tried her on the broads. The problem is when running at 30 mph she seems fine, every now and then it seems as though the engine is going to die. If you ease back on the throttle she picks up again. If you keep exelerating and the engine dies completely, she will not start . Leave her for 10 to 20 seconds and she fires up straight away. I have a electric fuel pump on her also tried another brand new one delivering 125 litres hour, 27.5 gallons an hour.It does the same with both pumps. The other is a high performance pump that came with the boat. The fuel tank is clean as had top of and cleaned out. The fuel pick up is from the back end of the tank. All fuel hoses are 3/8" bore and it goes into a 1/4" union on the carburetter which is the standard fitting for the carb. The carb is the standard twin choke webber. I am now out of any ideas of what to do next. Any help or advice will be much apreciated.
Many thanks Stephen
Hi i had a similar problem with my V6 cutting out it was doing it usually after it reached running temperature at anything over 3000RPM then i remembered reading somewhere that as the engine speed increased the HT voltage drops n decided it must be either the coil or the distributor cap n rotor after i changed the distributor cap n rotor it was fine, and bought a spare cap n rotor for good measures funny thing i saw them in my shed few weeks ago in the original box i got rid of my boat ages ago, hope it helps