Electrical Help

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Quigs
CMBA Member: 0

Re: Electrical Help

Post by Quigs »

Nearly there! I rigged the system up as in your diagram except I haven't got the 'S' terminal so just used the IG and L.

Charged the battery all night so that I am getting 12.7v at the coil with nothing connected to the alternator. Rigged it up as shown and the bulb lit up :thumbsup:

However, I then checked the voltage at the coil and it was reading 12.01v. After a few more 'experiments' I was noticing that as soon as I put the live ignition feed to the alternator, thats what seemed to be affecting the voltage drop, this is even without the bulb connected. In fact what I did was watch the voltage as I connected the lead and it drops to about 12.3 then fluctuates with readings down to 11.98v for a few seconds and then stabilises at 12.01v.

Progress but not quite there I guess?

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Is this with the engine running???? The engine needs to be running &b the alternator charging to get the correct readings, it won't happen without.
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Quigs

Post by Quigs »

Without at the moment as I have my carbs off being cleaned.

I just thought I needed the full whack at the coil for starting purposes as this thread started because I was struggling to get going with the 11.8v

Mirak
CMBA Member: 672

Post by Mirak »

The coil will draw 5 to 8 amps wit the ignition on, which enough to drop the reading below 12v.

The starter will cause more of a drop, but if all is setup correctly, the motor should start.

If not, the problem will be one of:- (Not enough) Spark; Fuel or volts to spin the starter.

S
********************************************************************************
* Swinging the World by the tail since 1960 *
********************************************************************************

Quigs

Post by Quigs »

Thanks, so no need to worry about the lack of 'S' terminal and just wire up the light to the dash as I did earlier?

Should get the carbs back next week, so will fire up then and let you know. Thanks for all your help, we got there in the end. :drink:

Mirak
CMBA Member: 672

Post by Mirak »

The regulator should sense the battery voltage through the IG terminal.

S
* Swinging the World by the tail since 1960 *

Quigs

Post by Quigs »

:thumbsup: