1958 18 hp Evinrude

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

1958 18 hp Evinrude

Post by sean-nós »

I have been asked to do this up for a chap and just wanted to know if there are any pros or cons to them, are the parts and decals handy to get , is it even worth doing up. Any tips would be great thanks :drink:

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: 1958 18 hp Evinrude

Post by Rapier »

They're agricultural and wheezy in comparison to the Mercs of the time, but remained basically unchanged until the 20hp Evinrude arrived in the early 70s. All the parts are still available, some even here in the UK. I think there were bearing changes in '62 that allowed them to be run on 50:1 and maybe stronger rods - the only weakness I think I recall is the area around the exhaust bypass is prone to cracking.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

sean-nós

Post by sean-nós »

Well I'm going to have a go at doing her up :juggle: I started off doing a compression test and one cylinder was very low not a good start :( As it had been sitting in a barn for the last 30 years I decided to put a bit of WD40 in and let it sit over night hoping it was just stuck rings. I did the test again and was getting 125 psi on each :chuffed:
Bottom

I had a look at the gear oil and of course it was half full of water:grrr: it had been sitting for so long it looked like you could drink the water if you held your nose :D

Next I took off the air breather to have a look at the carb :shock: It looks like some sort of spider lived in here, what a mess.

Even the carb was full of spider shit or what looks like sawdust.

Can things get worse, O yes they can. I checked for a spark and guess what...........none so out with the harmonic balancer and off with the flywheel "if anyone knows what torque the nut goes back on could you let me know"

I think I found the problem :D

Parts ordered carb rebuild kit,coils,condensers and points I also want to change it to a standard fuel tank from a pressurised one so I ordered a mikuni pulse pump the plan is to get the engine to run before I decide to carry on with the rest of the rebuild.

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

Good work, I know that old Mercs have more of a following but I for one like the rugged simplicity of the old Jonnyrudes, good to see another one being saved.
The coils on any older OMC deteriorate badly and will likely need replacing (as you have so ably demonstrated) along with service items like points plugs condensers etc.

1957 -1970 18HP Flywheel nut torque :- 480-540 inch pounds

Good luck with the rest :thumbsup: Splitting the gearbox from the leg to get at the water pump could be your next challenge :o see viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3002&start=10

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Well done, 125psi seems high for these motors, but without it's history who knows. Never done a mikuni conversion, would be interested to see how it's done.

Don't be put of by the post, that was a seized shaft, crank end...Use heat on all the l/u bolts and the bolts that hold the pump in position - they have a nasty habit of shearing, particularly when crusty like that.

sean-nós

Post by sean-nós »

The high psi is probably down to fact that I put a bit of oil in the chambers first it should settle down once she runs.
Here is a link to a mikuni conversion. http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repair.c ... 0Tanks.htm looks like something even I can do :D
I have the gearbox off :perfect:
Thanks for the torque setting floater :thumbsup:

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Yes, had a minty 9.5 that settled too after months of doctoring and a hot run. Very interesting conversion. Like the style of those motors. Stupidly sold this 35hp for 200 quid a few years ago in a cull... :hmmm: ..and it's electric brother as a package. :roll: Guy was very happy with them and supposedly shipped them of to Ghana, where the locals were not daunted by the technology.
Attachments
Picture 073 (Large).jpg
Picture 078 (Large).jpg

sean-nós

Post by sean-nós »

Getting there now, the one thing I hate about old engines is the effort it takes to remove the nuts and bolts :grrr: some of them brake my heart especially if the head comes off a 2 minutes job can become a 2 hour job.

One good thing, I think I found why this engine was put away both the condenser wires were worn from the flywheel and were earthing out.

After finding this I cleaned up the carb and fitted the new electrics :chuffed: click the pic

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Another one up and running :thumbsup:

sean-nós

Post by sean-nós »

Now the boring part sanding the old paint off, Anyone got some handy tips for this I did a bit today but was thinking soda blasting might be the way to go to get into every nock and cranny .