Delta V4, lots of questions

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

ZPDeltaV
CMBA Member: 0

Delta V4, lots of questions

Post by ZPDeltaV »

Gentlemen and boat enthusiasts!

As a newbie to the world of classic boating I’ve been following the forum for a while, and greatly impressed by the store of knowledge out there. My own project has stuck a bit, so am hopefull to hear from anyone with some input...

My status is the recent purchase of a 1973 Delta Sports V4 (fiberglass no.973227), imported to Norway (new, I think, purportedly the only one in the country!) . The engine is a Ford 2 litre V4, which I have assumed is the Essex. It was overhauled by the previous owner and tuned up, apparently, to ’100’ hp, by a change in heads ++. Engine starts up on first turnover, only needs a new air filter. The boat is in good condition, drive train is overhauled and looking good (the original fuel tank is gone, however).
I increadibly foolishly damaged the hull by lifting it with too short straps, which created a 30 cm crack along the port gunwale, which luckily shouldn’t be too difficult to patch. Despite the damage, in hindsight it speaks highly of construction that not more broke, considering the stress...

Aside from the above I have two tech problems:
1: The propeller is probably wrong. I’ve had some contact with Steel Developments Ltd. and expect that they can help, but I’d be very greatfull if someone could offer me some direct stat’s for the original prop.
2: The raw water pump for oil cooling and exhaust manifolds isn’t performing. I’ve seen a couple of pictures of similar Delta’s on the net, but these don’t appear to have the same pump system. It is a solid brass gear pump run by V-belt from a flywheel extension on the crankshaft. There is no identification, so I have no idea what make it is, whether it can be refurbished or what capacity a new pump should have if a replacement can't be found. See posted photo’s, anyone recognize it or have suggestions?

Finally, does anyone have manuals, designs or the like for this boat model? There seems precious little litterature about the Delta’s to be found on the net... and does anyone know how many are still about? Delta Sports seem to pop up regularly on eBay, so I assume they are fairly common in the UK?

Hope for many in depth replies! And so very looking forward to cruising the fjords in Norway’s coolest boat!

ZPDeltaV in Norway
Attachments
It floats!
It floats!
This followed the boat, along with a description sent to a previous owner from Ray Wright Ltd, dated '98.
This followed the boat, along with a description sent to a previous owner from Ray Wright Ltd, dated '98.
Raw water pump on bracket.
Raw water pump on bracket.
Ditto pump.
Ditto pump.

rnb

Re: Delta V4, lots of questions

Post by rnb »

Hello congratulations on your "new" Delta , I suggest your prop should be about a 10x 10 .
I have a selection of a 9x10 , 10x10 and a cupped 10 x 11 on my boat which had similar power to yours . The 9x10 the engine is bouncing off the redline all of the time but was good for pulling a skier out of the water , even a fat one !
Is your prop damaged ? You could have it repaired and maybe modified to suit at the same time .
Your raw water pump i dont know the particular model , most of them are Jabsco , its probably only requires a change of impeller or you can still obtain something suitable new from them .

Have fun

Regards RB

rnb

Post by rnb »

Just remembered , Rod Champkin from this site and the CMBA also offers Delta props i believe , you may want to try and contact him.

Bluebird

Post by Bluebird »

Hi. I have an early fibreglass Delta V4 undergoing restoration but very little information about it. However it is fitted with a 10x10 prop.
Regarding the pump, I don't recognise the make but you might try http://www.asap-supplies.com. Based at Ellough near Beccles, UK, in the same location as Deltas were built, they have a very comprehensive range of pumps and spares so might be able to identify yours and help you with any spares or a suitable replacement. Good Luck!

ZPDeltaV

Post by ZPDeltaV »

Gentlemen!

Many thanks for replies from so long ago! I'm afraid I 'fell out of the boat' for a while, but didn't drown completely. My engine crapped out mid-fjord (smoke pouring out of the engine room - scared my passenger pretty bad :( ). Since then lack of time and money has left her to collect dust. But I'm sick of looking out on the water from shore, so I'm picking up the pieces and giving it another go. Hope you're all still as eager to help out as before!

First issue: Essex V4 rebuild. Need new crankshaft rebuild kit. Who to contact?
This was a real dissapointment. The engine was just rebuilt when I bought her (see first post), but somehow the crank at sylinder 1 wasn't getting oil...

Second issue: steering issues (=skeg?).
My Delta doesn't have a skeg, which I've seen several posts about, for the V6 anyway. My experience was that the she simply wouldn't steer when planing!! It just kind of slides sideway's... My thought was simply that it needs a skeg. However, others are of the opinion that this is a rudder issue, that the rudder is too small, that a skeg won't really make much difference. What experience do other Delta-owners have about handling? I still betting on the skeg, but maybe I'm wrong? Is one skeg enough? What size and optimal placement? I've found this supplier (http://www.boatdesigns.com/Fins/products/940/), but other suggestions welcome!

As for the raw water pump issue, I never had any real Luck. I tried to refurbish the old pump, but due to wear it has lost it's syphoning power, and therefore unreliable. Have decided to rebuild the pump drive and install a modern Jabsco. What capacity pump is recommended (oil cooler and manifolds)?
Also, I'm toying with the idea of rerouting the oil cooler to the engine coolant. My understanding is that engine oil needs to be warm to lubricate effectively. With raw water cooling the oil it will stay cold.. :?: Any thoughts?

Concerning prop issues, I've determined that the prop I have is good after all - and certainly the least of my problems at the moment.

Further down the line I will undoubtably need more help, but for now here's hoping! Thanks!

ZPDeltaV in Norway