johnson 115 v4 engine

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

beefurmm
CMBA Member: 0

johnson 115 v4 engine

Post by beefurmm »

hi just bought a tremeltt 17 complete with a johnson 115 v4 gt 2 stroke engine can anyone help with info on this engine as have been told it is quite rare
am asking just in case it needs items that can/cannot be sourced

knarloid
CMBA Member: 754

Re: johnson 115 v4 engine

Post by knarloid »

I can't help you out with details on the engine (even though I just sold my old Johnson 70hp VRO last week), but I would hope that you'll post a few pics of the new boat ASAP!

A few Tremlett fans on here. :perfect:

Tremlett 15
CMBA Member: 73

Post by Tremlett 15 »

good on ya........ :perfect:

good to see another Tremlett on here.... :D

I am sure we will "talk again"....... ;)

info in the post......... :o well by Monday........ ;)

:wot:

:drink:

Tremlett 15

Post by Tremlett 15 »

knarloid

Post by knarloid »

It appears beefurmm was a bit trigger happy when Submitting the original post.
That's understandable though given the forum he's now contributing on..... :thumbsup:

(Welcome!)

beefurmm

Post by beefurmm »

boat_edited-1.jpg

beefurmm

Post by beefurmm »

there she is in all her glory what do you think

Tremlett 15

Post by Tremlett 15 »

lost for words..... :hmmm:

FAB........... its not the same as he one that was over here in the late 60s/early 70s........ as I have said before, every Tremlett looks a wee bit different.... ;) spray rails "cut" a wee bit short!! to bow, cant remember seeing that ???

knarloid

Post by knarloid »

Wow!
If she still looks like that, then that is AWESOME!

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Post by se7en »

The engine,if it is 115hp, is a 1967 GT115, based on the 90hp Golden meteor of 1966,and was designed as a 'racing engine only',the colour is wrong, it should be green and cream, the engine was rated at 116hp,(at the flywheel) its main feature was its gear box,it was manual change, and had a duel pinion lower unit, this made it stronger under racing conditions, however, you may have trouble getting propellors for it, if you ever need any, they were designed for that gear box only, and are left handed rotation, they were hard to get when the engines were new......43 years later.......good luck..!! if it has an electric change gear box,that has right hand rotation, it is not a GT 115, its just a 90hp 0r the later 100hp standard motor, if it is a race motor most of the powerhead is based on the 85.5 cubic inch 90hp engine, but there are not many of these about, they were not as popular as the 6 cylinder mercury of the same period, the Johnson drank more fuel, and was not as smooth, still, its nice to see one again after all these years, but its going to be a hard engine to maintain, just because of the spares situation.Do you have a serial or model number? if you do, I can tell you what it is and what year.
There were never many raced in the U.K. I can only really remember seeing one, Couger mariner used to race one, I can remember an off shore boat, Howard wheeler's North American S22, 'Wild Cat' that had two Evinrude GT 115's, the same engine but in Evinrude colours, and that was about it, there must have been a few more, yours being one, but as I said before, the 6 cylinder Mercury was more popular, and easier to get racing parts for.