1964 Evirude 40hp Big Twin

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Pete54
CMBA Member: 769

1964 Evirude 40hp Big Twin

Post by Pete54 »

The albatross is nearly finished (just needs paint......), Many new parts in an entirely rebuilt 100E - not cheap, but at least all the part are available.

The Pearly Miss I got from solitaire needs an engine and I got this one fairly locally. Apart from a butchered anti-cavitation plate it is in quite good condition, but ll the paint has either been removed or partially removed. I've bought the Seloc manual and a shopping list from Laings in the US.

One lingering question is paint. Particularly the colours. The main body is that dark blue and then the 'soft white'. Has anyone got a reasonable match to the originals - ideally with the RAL or similar code?

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: 1964 Evirude 40hp Big Twin

Post by Rapier »

Is worthwhile checking with AOMCI ask-a-member forum..they have the paint colours listed somwhere and may be able to give you a code - '64 is a lighter blue, but you may want to get in touch with Phil Bywater who recently sprayed a '71 big twin in the early 70s dark blue, if you have no luck. Also, Mike Vincent (at Southcoast Marine in Dorset) has the old stock from OMC / Barbardier. Most parts will be available here, without the exchange rate and shipping / vat / duty / post office handling costs that now make bringing in parts from the US uneconomical.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Pete54
CMBA Member: 769

Re: 1964 Evirude 40hp Big Twin

Post by Pete54 »

Thanks for the contact info. I have found some paint codes on the internet - but they seem to be OMC specific codes, so that then leads to various chandlers and others - who typically do not have it available!

So the UK sources look to be a much better prospect. Of course that still leaves a lot to be done before I have to worry about paint!