Oil Changes

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Oil Changes

Post by solitaire »

Hi All....... A good few members are aware that I spent almost 30 years with a major oil company testing and developing lubricates, 12 years on automotive lubes, and 18 years on marine and power generation lubes.....
In the past weeks I have been asked on 4 separate occasions about oil recommendation for a variety of inboard boat engines, - not a problem and happy to oblige.
But then I thought! (hard at my age) :hmmm:
Why are people thinking about changing their engine oil now?
The spring is not the best time to be changing oil in a boat engine, - it should always be carried out at the end of the season - - run the engine to operation temperature - change the oil and filter refill with the good stuff and run it up to operation temperature again, - that way it doesn't sit all winter with a sump of contaminated oil full of water, sludge,un-burnt Ethanol etc, plus it gets a nice flush with fresh clean oil and all of the latest additive technology in the lube package can do its'work.
Obvious when you think about it, but I wonder how many people don't do it that way.

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Re: Oil Changes

Post by floater »

Oil has to be changed ???!!!

I thought by the price of it it was fit and forget.

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Post by solitaire »

Hi Floater. I should have added "change frequently" - lt suports my pension !

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Good advice as ever Solitaire :thumbsup:

As for that Floater bloke . . . :grrr:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!