Penta Archimedes 250 (another)

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

etomd
CMBA Member: 0

Penta Archimedes 250 (another)

Post by etomd »

My Penta 250 Archimedes outboard, 1970's vintage, like most others, has an electric socket situated next to the stop button. I understand that this socket can feed electric lights on the boat. According to my voltmeter the current pushed out is between 8 -13 volts and I have read that it would be about 60w. I found an old razer two pin plug that fitted the socket and tried to use it as a charger for my onboard battery. The result was melted wires, there is no way to tell the + from the - in the socket as both input wires are green. My question is can I use this socket for battery charging if so how?
Any help would be appreciated.....Thanks

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Re: Penta Archimedes 250 (another)

Post by se7en »

If it has two green wires, the charge at the socket is AC, you will need a rectifier to convert to DC to charge a battery , the output is very low , and will only start to charge above around 2000rpm once rectified and it won't be 60w at that speed, it will need to be revving around 5000rpm to give full power.