Volvo Penta 171c inboard engine problem.

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

shamalj7nnn
CMBA Member: 0

Volvo Penta 171c inboard engine problem.

Post by shamalj7nnn »

Hi
I have a Broom Capricorn with a Volvo Penta 171C inboard witch is suffering with a fuel problem (I think). I had a problem this it last year where it was running very rough and also having a surging problem when I was going along. I took the twin Solex down draft carburettors apart and clean them out and reassembled using new gaskets and fuel pump diagrams, I also checked to make shore all the surfaces where flat and clean before I reassembled them. This didn’t fix the problem!
I then found that the fuel pump was broken. I replaced it and she is still running ruff and will now not idle at all.
The problem was the fuel pump to start with and now I have messed about with the carbs I find myself in a bit of a mess..
I`m fairly handy with a spanner but I’m at a loss with this issue and with a young family is it time to hand it over to an expert.
Dues anyone know a good boat mechanic in the Chichester aria that decent cost an arm and leg and has experience with solex down draft carburettors and 171c Volvo Penta engines?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Regards

pspeed

Re: Volvo Penta 171c inboard engine problem.

Post by pspeed »

Hi,
Just make sure it's not an ignition problem first, these engines were notorious for ignition system issues especially when damp.
They have the hall generator distributor thing with the separate black box and if there are any issues it can be curtains
The parts are terrifyingly expensive.
If that's the case I'd take it out and put one of the SOHC volvo engines in instead (pretty much a straight swap) they are much less complicated and you'll still have enough HP

Phil

solitaire
CMBA Member: 511

Post by solitaire »

PM sent - easier to talk on the phone..............

pspeed

Post by pspeed »

Hi There,

Nothing in my inbox?

pspeed

Post by pspeed »

Apologies,

Just realised the above was from a new poster

shamalj7nnn

Post by shamalj7nnn »

I`m pretty shore that it is not the ignition system, She was running like a dream before this problem.
I literally was out on a Saturday with know problems moored in northney Marina for the night came back the next day and she was running ruff.
As it turn out the end of the pin that connected the diaphragm to the rocker arm in the fuel pump brock. Thankfully it stayed in the pump and did drop in the engine otherwise I suspect I would have retighten the engine off.
My number is 07775583963 please call if you have a suggestion.
Kind Regards
Tom