What Battery

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

welshhealey
CMBA Member: 71

What Battery

Post by welshhealey »

After the long hard winter, one of my tired batteries has decided to call it a day despite regular charges to keep it topped up. Therefore, I’m wondering what type of battery would suit the 80hp Merc. ie leisure battery or a standard car battery ? reason for asking, I got a leisure battery on my Shetland ( 40hp Tohatsu) and it’s lasted 8 years and still going , ( or am I just lucky) and yet got a car battery on the others ( Moonfleet inboard and Winner outboard) and replaced them twice to the one on the Shetland... I’m at a crossroads and undecided :hmmm:

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: What Battery

Post by Rapier »

I have an Odyssey 680 (12 years old, is a racing / bike battery) and an Alphaline XV24 (leisure & 4 years old) for all my outboards. The Odyssey was expensive, but can be carried in one hand and I think be mounted 15deg off horizontal...I watch the charge levels and always smart charge them. There is a Merc group that say an unregulated charge is not good for the Odyssey / gel batteries.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

I had a marine / leisure battery on my Merc 80 and it gave sterling service, even one Chertsey meeting when I spent nearly all day winding the thing over but not getting it to run :cry: only wish I could remember the make, it was nothing special, in fact I picked it up at a boat jumble supposedly light use only. It must have done 6 seasons or more before I needed to replace it at Poole in 2018. Thanks to Se7en I got a good deal on a 75Ah platinum marine battery at Trickett marine Ltd Poole, but it looks like they've closed down.

welshhealey
CMBA Member: 71

Post by welshhealey »

Will have to keep an eye out for a reasonably priced marine leisure battery then, pity about Trickitt Marine, hopefully se7en will see this and know of another source he can recommend. :thumbsup:

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

I've used tayna batteries for my vehicles, fast delivery and good after sales service, they're a bit limited in offerings of 75Ah marine batteries though.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/marine-batteries/types/75ah/

LaDauphine

Post by LaDauphine »

We always use Optima red top batteries. Sealed and more robust, which is always good on a boat where it might get rough treatment.

Comes with a cost, though.

Kind regards

Richard