re engine of my boat

The technical area for everything relating to your powerplant. Post your questions and answers here...

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

piebald1962
CMBA Member: 499

re engine of my boat

Post by piebald1962 »

I need some info. I have a fibreglass copy of an Albatross, i done up several years ago. I ran it a fritton lake about 4 years ago. At the time i fitted a honda 1300 engine in it running through a constant volocity joint. The engine is nearly level in the boat as i did not have the height to have the engine run in line with the shaft. I also have a thrust bearing on the shaft to take the thrust away from the engine. The engine has a crack in it some where as the oil keeps emulsifying. I was considering a pre x flow ford until i spoke to Rod at the weekend , when he explained that the front casing was specially cast to accept the thrust bearing. So out of the question. I then considered a motor bike engine due to the size, but these come with integral gear box, not practcle. I am able to get hold of a (don,t laugh) reliant robin 850 cc engine. These are all ally. Delivering 39 hp. Would any body be able to give me any idea,s as to whether this engine would be suitable for hp and revs. It will rev to 5500. The boat when empty can be lifted by 2 people, so not to heavy and is the same dimensions as the original Albatross. Or can anyone suggest any other engine i could use. Many thanks Stephen

Howstar
CMBA Member: 0

Re: re engine of my boat

Post by Howstar »

I think some of them did have that engine in them,but they where as lo fitted Austin and Morris cars.

But I am sure someone going to tell me i am wrong , :thumbsup:

Allymally

Post by Allymally »

The Seven Fifty motor club, 750 racers, have used this engine for years. why not ask them, they will know how to get the best from this engine.
All the very best.

pspeed

Post by pspeed »

I'm pretty sure there was a marinised version of this engine back in the 1980s "Sword Marine" rings a bell, cast into the manifolds.
I remember seeing what looked like a later version of an Almarine meteor with one in coupled to a jet drive.
It was apparently one of a few that Peter De Savary had built as toys during his time in Cornwall.
Ive had a quick google and can only find Sword marine jet packs ( might be the same firm) and a number in the midlands, could be worth a go if its the same firm they might have some old marinising bits kicking about.

Healey75

Post by Healey75 »

One of the CMBA members fitted a OHV Reliant engine in a 2 seater Albatross... looked very quick
Growing up is optional...

Healey75

Post by Healey75 »

You have PM
piebald1962 wrote:I need some info. I have a fibreglass copy of an Albatross, i done up several years ago. I ran it a fritton lake about 4 years ago. At the time i fitted a honda 1300 engine in it running through a constant volocity joint. The engine is nearly level in the boat as i did not have the height to have the engine run in line with the shaft. I also have a thrust bearing on the shaft to take the thrust away from the engine. The engine has a crack in it some where as the oil keeps emulsifying. I was considering a pre x flow ford until i spoke to Rod at the weekend , when he explained that the front casing was specially cast to accept the thrust bearing. So out of the question. I then considered a motor bike engine due to the size, but these come with integral gear box, not practcle. I am able to get hold of a (don,t laugh) reliant robin 850 cc engine. These are all ally. Delivering 39 hp. Would any body be able to give me any idea,s as to whether this engine would be suitable for hp and revs. It will rev to 5500. The boat when empty can be lifted by 2 people, so not to heavy and is the same dimensions as the original Albatross. Or can anyone suggest any other engine i could use. Many thanks Stephen
Growing up is optional...

LaDauphine

Post by LaDauphine »

if money was no object, how about a small turbine engine...?