Speedos

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Simonp
CMBA Member: 360

Speedos

Post by Simonp »

My 1962 Simmonds was originally fitted with a period Smiths speedo with thick glass lens etc. Tried to get this recond at Speedograph Richfield with no joy. Any other ideas where these marine speedos can be checked over.

Decided to buy a period looking Faria new speedo instead which seems to work but reads too low!! I suspect I am using an unsuitable pipe which isn't up to the job and collapses. Is there a special pipe spec I should be using for the speedo and where can I buy it?

Thanks

SimonP
Simmonds fitted from new with what, I believe, is the only running factory marinised Daimler 2.5 litre V8 (as fitted to the Daimler SP 250) in the UK. Please let me know if you find another! Believed to be Norman Buckley's race boat.

twister
CMBA Member: 32

Re: Speedos

Post by twister »

Neither the size of the pipe nor the size of the pitot orifice should make any difference - the gauge is reading nothing more than pressure.

If the pipe is a bit soft, that might be expanding and lowering the pressure at the gauge; if it's very small there could be an airlock - but in theory the pressure should still be the same, and several of mine work fine without having bled the pipe.

Suggest checking the pipe, then blowing it through with an airline to clear any partial blockages.

You could talk to Speedy Cables, 01639 732213. They have period Smiths cases etc and might be able to put your 'works' (or possible new works from Faria with your face etc in a new case) into a new case (they're still trying to get a nice looking tacho working properly with the new electronic ignition I fitted to my Albatross) Problem you might come up against is that the ladies who answer the phone can be a bit negative if you're asking for something non-standard, but the guys in the works are very helpful if you can get to talk to them.

Incidentally, the fancy new digital speedo on my Yamaha 90 is sensitive enough to read down to 4mph, from a pitot hole on the lower unit...

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Simon, don't blow it through with the guage attached...I did this once and blew the needle past the 50mph zone. As my best man's Gran used to say, 'where there's no pain, there's no gain'..

If you've access to ebay US there are at stack of period 1950's units that come up each week. I'll post the relevant ones if you're interested?
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

twister
CMBA Member: 32

Post by twister »

Nick's dead right! I should have said unhook the tube from the speedo and blow the tube out backwards, to clear the muck...

Simonp
CMBA Member: 360

Post by Simonp »

Thanks all - I am having a maintence day next weekend.

SimonP
Simmonds fitted from new with what, I believe, is the only running factory marinised Daimler 2.5 litre V8 (as fitted to the Daimler SP 250) in the UK. Please let me know if you find another! Believed to be Norman Buckley's race boat.