Teleflex steering installation help.

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Woodwych
CMBA Member: 0

Teleflex steering installation help.

Post by Woodwych »

I'd like to install Teleflex steering on my little cruiser, it originally had cable and pulley. I'm looking at the light duty kits they do.The helm is to port and all the holes to get the steering cable to the engine are cut out on the port side but Teleflex seems to be designed for routing the steering cable in from the starboard side. If I run it from the port side will the steering be back to front ? and is there a way round this ?

Many thanks in advance.

haventaclue
CMBA Member: 924

Re: Teleflex steering installation help.

Post by haventaclue »

These systems are designed for either side installation as long as the steering cable is fed into the top feed
no matter how bad it is,it can always get worse,I'm an optimist

Woodwych

Post by Woodwych »

Thanks for that!
For future reference they don't actually supply any instructions on how to alter the direction. There are plenty of dire warnings on invalidating the warranty if you disassemble the mechanism but thats exactly what you have to do :hmmm:
Remove the 3 retaining bolts and the metal back plate then swap over the threaded metal port and the plastic one opposite. Job done.

One more bit of help needed this time at the other end. The teleflex has a 10mm hole where you connect to the outboard but my outboard has a much smaller 6mm bolt. Its all too wobbly so I need some sort of flanged metal thing inside diameter 6mm outside 10mm. I know once I know the correct name for this it'll be easy but I can't work out what to search for...

haventaclue

Post by haventaclue »

Woodwych wrote:Remove the 3 retaining bolts and the metal back plate then swap over the threaded metal port and the plastic one opposite.
:hmmm:All you needed to do should have been to change the plastic end from one side to the other. When you move from the steering rack from starboard to port,all that happens is the cable is pulled rather than pushed,the engine still turns the same way as long as you insert the steering cable in the top.As long as you feed the cable into the top feed port.
Double check the way your engine turns when you pull down on your right hand,the steering should push the front of the engine to port.It would be a pain if you went out ,pulled to go hard to starboard and went hard to port :o :shock: :help:
Unless you have a different teleflex system to what I'm thinking :hmmm: Then you need this http://www.boatsteering.co.uk/splashwel ... s-145.html

http://www.sillette.co.uk/price_pdf_fil ... alogue.pdf You'll see the kit you need there as well,TXSA 27314 Clevis joint and pin.
http://teleflex.ru/upload/files/catalog ... 20Kits.pdf Bottom right second page

Woodwych

Post by Woodwych »

IMG_1239.jpg
Thanks again but the black plastic port and the brass coloured hexagonal one definitely needed swapping over to get the push/pull the right way round.
Pretty sure it'll go the right way on the water...
The clevis pin would have worked but I've found a nylon washer/flange that reduces from 10-6mm at the outboard end.
Interesting how everything modern seems so much bulkier than the original (e.g. outboards/steering mechanisms) causing many of the challenges of renovation.

haventaclue

Post by haventaclue »

:thumbsup: I had a look at these and you are correct.From what I can see the system comes with the parts unattached to accommodate the customers requirements. The "Dismantle invalidates Warranty" sticker must be the get out of paying card if the components malfunction :hmmm: .