buoyancy foam or not

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Johng
CMBA Member: 0

Re: buoyancy foam or not

Post by Johng »

Floater, how is your Clubman coming on?

John

Tremlett 15
CMBA Member: 73

Post by Tremlett 15 »

this is one way of getting the water & foam out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-N-SGOsJ1w

puddleduck
CMBA Member: 80

Post by puddleduck »

Only one foam for boats - Plasticell PVC closed cell. Polystyrene dissolves in contact with petrol, and the two pack PU foam gives of carcinogenic fumes during mixing! We had to have fume extraction in my boatbuilding days, also, as previously mentioned it is open cell and soaks up water!

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

Thanks for all the advice. I will re consider my options.
John in answer to your query about progress I am currently stuck in Yuma Arizona and have been for the last 4 1/2 weeks so progress is halted. I have finished rebuilding the transom stiffening and finaly bitten the bullet and CNC routed my tinted screen which thankfuly fits well leaving enough material over for a spare in case of accidents. My next job was to be replacing the floor hence the original post but as the boat is stored outside I feel my chances of completing that when I get out of here and before the deep dark winter are slim.
For info there are a few lakes around here and lots of boating activity with a few old lummies like Rapiers Dixie along with the usual bayliner Glatron types and very shallow freeboard skeeters with V8s poking through the deck. Managed to pick up a few bits in the local boat shops too including a flusher kit for my Evinrude 40 :perfect:. We are shipping back a 20ft iso but time is now running out and they keep expecting me to work :(
Temperature here today 104 F

Hope you are all doing well

Dave H