Boat Safety Cert

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

73miss
CMBA Member: 763

Boat Safety Cert

Post by 73miss »

As I sit here typing this, it is difficult to remove the smug grin that seems to now be a permanent fixture on my face. The reason for this unrestrained (for me anyway) show of happiness??

I NOW HAVE MY BOAT SAFETY CERTIFICATE!!!

(Well, actually, I dont have one - the Delta does)

Signed and sealed less than 15 minutes ago I can now apply for my Broads Authority Toll thingy and stop paying £20 everytime I want to go out on the water.

Had some great help and advice from my local examiner (Ian Jennings - pm me for his number) who was not only fair but also pragmatic in his examination.

Only a few minor points needed addressing (BS7480 fuel lines, upgrade battery leads, label EVERYTHING etc etc)

The major point was that the tank needed to supply the engine from a top feed - not the bottom as is common. Talked this through with him and I came up with a solution which he admitted was well within the rules. Will post some pics if anyone is remotely interested.

So thats me done until 2013 now (unless I decide to change engines or whatever) :wot:

Andy

Mirak
CMBA Member: 672

Re: Boat Safety Cert

Post by Mirak »

Please send or post pictures of your tank feeds.

My very safe fuel feeds from the top of the tank, don't reach more than half way down the tank!

I would prefer to feed from the bottom of the tank but.....

Cheers,
Scott
********************************************************************************
* Swinging the World by the tail since 1960 *
********************************************************************************

73miss
CMBA Member: 763

Re: Boat Safety Cert

Post by 73miss »

Ok - rather than attack the tank top (expensive and not easy) I decided to fabricate something that fitted between the filler cap and the tank inlet where the flexi hose goes.

This shows the gubbins. 2.5inch pipe with 1/4inch feed running to within 1/2 inch of tank bottom
DSC03328s.jpg
DSC03328s.jpg (10.29 KiB) Viewed 2886 times
Shows attached earth bonds and fuel shutoff
DSC03330s.jpg
DSC03330s.jpg (9.86 KiB) Viewed 2881 times
Fitted where once was all flexi. Gadget is 1/2inch shorter than the gap between filler and tank top so although it doesnt look like it it is infact all hard pipe held together with flexi. Note original outlet (halfway up the front of the tank which was plugged and a high pressure fitting and more hose and clips used to seal it off.
DSC03395s.jpg
DSC03395s.jpg (12.92 KiB) Viewed 2886 times
Got my ex employer to build it up for me at a cost of about a fiver. Mates rates excluded I think you could do something similar for around £35-£40. Took about an hour to work out what I needed from their stores, another hour to make and test and 15 minutes to fit. A darn sight cheaper than a new tank or the cost od cleaning and making safe the existing one!!!

Ok - its not the most elegant of solutions but works really well and satisfies the inspector.

I have some bigger pics but there is a size limit to what I can post here. If you want me to send them (about 5MB each) then pm me your e-mail
Andy