A Bristol Boat

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

chrisleaney
CMBA Member: 0

A Bristol Boat

Post by chrisleaney »

Hello, I'm hoping that someone out there will be able to help me. :wild:

I am after any information available on a motor boat that I have come into possession of, I believe it to be a Water-ski towboat, that I am renovating, on it is a plate which says:

A BRISTOL BOAT (138)
Manufactured by Fraisthorpe Leasing
229 Kirkstall Road
Leeds 4

However the only thing that I have manged to dig up is this article/advert

BRISTOL BOATS
AMSTERDAM 3 hrs. —
LEIGE 6 hrs. —
PARIS 6 hrs. —
GENEVA INTERNATIONAL — BRITISH DRIVERS CHAMPIONSHIP
1st G. Norton —
2nd T. Williams —
3rd R. Clark —
2nd Overall
2nd O.N. Class
1st 0.1. Class
S.B.B.N.F. TROPHY
1st Overall
Bristol 14' E.U.
Bristol 14 E.U.
Bristol 14 E.U.
- ;o :-
After a successful 1971 season in International Powerboat Racing, John Clegg is pleased to announce that the Bristol Racing Boats are now on sale for the 1972 Season at our Kirkstall Road showrooms.
We also manufacture SKI BOATS and FISHING DINGHIES and are agents for INFLATABLES — ENGINES — MARINE ACCESSORIES For the sail enthusiast we shall be introducing in March the 16' International Strale Class Dinghy.
-:o:-
For the motoring enthusiast we can supply Fiberglass Body Panels and we w ill undertake the construction of new body panels for racing cars and express repairs to get your cars back on the circuit.
Consult us for your requirements in FIBERGLASS.
For personal service Contact
JOHN CLEGG or PETER GREGORY
AT
FRAISTHORPE LEASING
SERVICE GARAGE
162 Armley Road
Leeds LS12 2QN
TELEPHONE : 6 3 1 2 2 8 / 9
Attachments
Speed boat.jpg

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: A Bristol Boat

Post by Rapier »

Welcome, I don't have any info on them, but a number of members have had Bristol racing boat versions. Someone may pop here that knows more.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Re: A Bristol Boat

Post by se7en »

Charlie Shepherd started Bristol boats in Bristol, he built all the competitive race boats, John Clegg was licensed to build the ski boats, they were not a market leader in recreational boats, I'm not sure how long John Clegg built them for, I met him a few times, nice fella, but the boat, as well made as it was, was never going to out sell things like Fletcher or Shakespare.
Charlie's race boats, in the 70s and 80s were very competitve in circuit racing, most of the top drivers of the day had had a Bristol 'sprint' at some time or another, the engine manufacturer I was working for at the time had a team of 2 boats, one of them is in your list " third overall in the British drivers championship, Roy Clark" this was a Charlie Shepherd built boat.