quick question re chris craft

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

chriscraft
CMBA Member: 0

quick question re chris craft

Post by chriscraft »

Thinking about running my Chris craft this weekend at York meeting however the defunct dynamo has been removed, question is can or will it run without said dynamo just carry spare battery etc., and do I need to do anything with the wire that connected to the regulator box thing on the side of aforesaid dynamo, Quick reply would be nice so I don't waste my time with a non starter no pun intended cheers David :hmmm: :drink:
that bloke up north !

chriscraft

Re: quick question re chris craft

Post by chriscraft »

Quick update turns over and tries to fire there is a spark but will not easily fire suspect old fuel in tank do nt want to annoy the neighbours so have given up till I get new fuel fingers crossed oh and the wire onto the dynamo is pos charged so guess ill tape it up cheers David :wot:
that bloke up north !

Music Man
CMBA Member: 762

Post by Music Man »

Hi David

It will run! How ever does the dynamo belt also drive the water pump for the engine? If so you wont have any cooling unless you replace the belt with a smaller one or just refit the old dynamo that doesn't work, If re fitted all your wires would be safe , water pump would work and your only problem will be lack of charging.

If you have considered all the above then the answer to your question is yes it will run and the engine will take a small amount of power from the battery to keep running but your pumps if they operate will probably use more power than the engine so spare battery is advisable to ensure starting etc.

Looking forward to seeing you.

Gary
:wot:

eastcoast

Post by eastcoast »

Hi David,

Garys absolutely correct, will run fine, I have a spare battery if needed. It may be worth upsetting the purists and going alternator, its so easy, and throw the "black magic" regulator box in the river!

Regards, Paul