Wood Stain

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

petrolhead
CMBA Member: 644

Wood Stain

Post by petrolhead »

Som help from the pro's out there.

I have always used International mahogany interstain on our Storebro (which the previous owner had used) amongst other things and had a stash of cans in the shed :D but have just used my last drop. It was a proper stain, not horrid water based stuff and I alwys end up with brown fingers as it ate my gloves to bits.

It is apparantley no longer sold....something to do with Nanny state ,or europe....probably both.

I liked it for several reasons,

1) it applied nicely and dried quickly, lasting well.
2) it somehow managed to make woods of differing colours or patched from repairs all end up the same without complex blending or double coating in places!
3) it could be used as a thinner on varnish to 10%...which made a very nice top up system to maintain the work for many years before stripping and starting again which I have just done for the Storebro. This helped keep a nice colour and minmise the sun bleaching which on moored boats and mahogany is a problem.

Who uses what now? is it all water based or is "proper" stuff available.

Tremlett 15
CMBA Member: 73

Re: Wood Stain

Post by Tremlett 15 »

I have used "Sadolin Classic Wood Protection" ( the green tin, the "base" coat, what ever you want to call it) BUT ONLY ON BARE WOOD ( either new or old that has been stripped ) it turns out very well!!

Brush it onto the bare wood then rub it off with a cloth, leave to dry and then you can coat it with your ordinary clear varnish ( either internal or exterior use, gloss or matt or semi matt ) have used it on boats & constuuction work & always turned out well & lasted, DONT KNOW HOW IT WOULD WORK WITH 2 PACK SYSTEMS ETC.,

If you want the wood darker, leave it to soak in for longer or when it dries apply more coats rubbiing it off each time.

Has always worked for me BUT I am sure someone will correct me!! I can post a pic of a 15 year old handrail or in a few weeks time the interior trim of a cruiser.

I find the "redwood" colour works very well on both new or old mahogany and leaves it a nice colour, well to me!!!!

PS: T 15 is just "natural" so dont go by its pics.............

petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

that is good to know for the fully stripped treatment like I just did on the screen surrounds. I mill dearly miss being able to make a slightly stained varnish though for some use.

Tremlett 15

Post by Tremlett 15 »

It just came to me, I may have some "Interstain" ( a few years old!!!!!!! ) if I find it I will let you know & if you are going to Cardiff I will bring it, very cheap ............ a few pints :D

petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

great stuff, yes intend being at Cardiff with Min, or if weather is really awful may bring the shakespeare. My last tin of interstain was £8 some years ago, it is mahogany. Thanks.

Tremlett 15

Post by Tremlett 15 »

petrolhead wrote:great stuff, yes intend being at Cardiff with Min, or if weather is really awful may bring the shakespeare. My last tin of interstain was £8 some years ago, it is mahogany. Thanks.

Will let you know if I find it, thats 3 pints !!!!!!!!!!!! but it must be worth much more now........... :D :D will try to find it tomorrow at dads, ours mahogany too, in a past life.
Attachments
IMG_0001 (4).jpg

Tremlett 15

Post by Tremlett 15 »

Hi petrolhead, had a look for the stain today at dads, BAD NEWS NO STAIN :( found the old deck paint, old bilge paint, old varnish, old ever thing( wire wool etc ) but not stain, sorry, ah, the good news, you dont have to buy me a pint well you still can :D

:wot:

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Are you bringing someone to drive T15 for you? 'Cos with all the pints you are going to be calling in you won't be able to stand - let alone drive T15 :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

BroomBroom
CMBA Member: 711

Post by BroomBroom »

Midland Chandlers appear to have some available:

http://kevint.easywebstore.co.uk/INTERS ... A19I2.aspx

also advertised on Western Marine:

http://bullock-harbour.com/page75.htm

and Rawlins:

http://www.rawlinspaints.com/marine%20woodcare.html

...you may get lucky :thumbsup:

Cheers,