Wooden Hull Paints

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Dakota
CMBA Member: 690

Wooden Hull Paints

Post by Dakota »

Any recommendations on which brand/type to use - the rear of bullet (white in colour) is continually staining due to exhaust discharge - so would like to re-paint using a marine paint which can be cleaned.

Any tips on best way to apply would be useful

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Re: Wooden Hull Paints

Post by se7en »

All paint can be Cleaned, use a kitchen cleaner,

With regard to what paint to use, there are lots to choose from, however, if you are brush or roller painting, a single pack paint is the easiest system to go with, Epiphanes, Blakes, Internatinal these are the common ones, all good, but a bit limited in colours, if you are trailing the boat, not leaving it on a mooring , you can use a good quality house hold paint, colour fast for 5 or 6 years,and good colour selection, both "Jade" and "J-82" are painted with Dulux, the paint has kept its colour and shine, I had to use it on "Jade " to get the colour to match the upholstery.

With regard to applying it, well, it will only be as good as the preperation, if you take the time and trouble to prep the job well, remove any flakey paint, flat back the old paint to remove any blemishes or runs, fill and fair any "dents" or marks in the wood, apply 2-3 under coats, let it dry, then flaten that, then apply top coat with the best brush you can buy, keeping a "wet edge" all the time and "tipping off" with a tipping of sponge, try and apply the finnishing coat in the evening, the air will be cooler, and not moving so much, damp the floor down to keep dust to a minimum, when finnished , shut the door and runaway till the morning.

All the paint manufactures issue a guide to using there products, follow there instructions, use the best you can afford, and take your time, there are no short cuts, when you see the finnished article, you will be pleased you spent the time preping it .

petrolhead
CMBA Member: 644

Post by petrolhead »

yes, I agree with Clive...Dulux weathershield is as good as any marine paint for wood and I have had it last 12 years on my facias before I repainted and still no lift or peeling, thats a lot more weathered than a trailed boat.

I'm not sure how it would fair underwater though....the one the previous owner painted MIN with went soft and peeled off when it was left in for 2 days :lol:

Tremlett 15
CMBA Member: 73

Post by Tremlett 15 »

petrolhead wrote:yes, I agree with Clive...Dulux weathershield is as good as any marine paint for wood and I have had it last 12 years on my facias before I repainted and still no lift or peeling, thats a lot more weathered than a trailed boat.

I'm not sure how it would fair underwater though....the one the previous owner painted MIN with went soft and peeled off when it was left in for 2 days :lol:

Yes, go with Clives, for "interior" of the hull on T 15 we use white Dulux/Crown,

Min sound like a "water based " paint, ( emulsion!! )

BroomBroom
CMBA Member: 711

Post by BroomBroom »

the one the previous owner painted MIN with went soft and peeled off when it was left in for 2 days :lol:
...aahh that'll be the 'self eroding' stuff then :lol: - the barnacles don't stand a chance...
CMBA Webmaster/Forum Admin.
ex Broom Saturn 'Gina' http://broomspeedboat.blogspot.com/

Dakota
CMBA Member: 690

Post by Dakota »

Thanks for your advice - I will need a lesson on tipping off with sponge - can you explain that aspect a little more ?

C2c
CMBA Member: 0

Post by C2c »

Dakota, check out www.yachtpaint.com

twister
CMBA Member: 32

Post by twister »

I've had very good results from United Paint, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft. They do a good marine gloss plus varnish, nothing fancy, which dries a lot quicker than some despite being white spirit based. I used their stuff on all my raceboats with no problems - and found a foam brush worked very well, giving a nice smooth finish.

They also used to supply Ray Wright with paint for Albatross restorations, so may well still have the colour codes he used.

Have a look at http://www.withamgroup.co.uk/marine.html

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Dakota wrote:Thanks for your advice - I will need a lesson on tipping off with sponge - can you explain that aspect a little more ?
Not sure whether you got this..but tipping off involves laying the paint with a brush / roller, then following through with a foam 'brush' - will give a wonderful smooth finish without the brush strokes or roller stippling.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...