Broom Scorpio assistance

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Ats
CMBA Member: 0

Broom Scorpio assistance

Post by Ats »

Hello all, I have recently acquired a Broom Scorpio. Amongst a few things that need tidying up the pleated vinyl on the side panels really needs recovering but i have so far been unable to track down anything that looks similar, would anyone be able to point me in the right direction if it's still made. many thanks.

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Re: Broom Scorpio assistance

Post by floater »

Fluted vinyl is not that common these days I bought mine from Toomer and Hayter and a quick look at EBay turned up this:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UPHOLSTERY-FA ... 3cbaa0827f

Good luck

Ats

Post by Ats »

Thanks for the reply, and also an apology for not making myself clearer ! I was hoping to replace it with like for like which appears to be a heat welded fluted/pleated vinyl. The only similar i've been able to find so far are USA based. Thanks

Sicobra
CMBA Member: 891

Post by Sicobra »

I know exactly what you are looking for and although I did not buy any from them in the end as I was fortunate not to need any this company told me they could supply it. They were the suppliers to Broom when the Scorpio was made and said it was easy for them to reproduce. Talk to the upholstery branch rather than the chandlery. Hope it helps, keep us informed on how you get on, cheers.

http://jeckells.net/

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

Bit confused now. The vinyl I bought from Toomer and Hayter is heat welded with a thin foam core and light vinyl backing and the EBay link states "heat sealed" Both are fluted

Sicobra

Post by Sicobra »

Have a look at this listing for my Scorpio when I sold her, it shows the material really well. The fluting effect is achieved by applying heat to "melt" in the effect of the strips. These strips are basically just melted into the material face and are about 1/8th inch wide. Hope that helps, Simon

http://www.nya.co.uk/used-boat_1329_broom-scorpio.html

Ats

Post by Ats »

Thanks to both of you for your help, I shall certainly give them a call and let you know how i get on, your finished Scorpio looked fantastic and i may trouble you with a few more questions as i progress in tidying her up.

Sicobra

Post by Sicobra »

No problem ATS, thanks for the kind comments about my Scorpio, I was reluctant to sell her but couldn't justify 3 boats and wanted to keep my 1950's woody. Ask away as you work on your project, always pleased to help if I can and don't forget to add pictures as you go as we all like to see the progress, cheers. :perfect: :perfect: :perfect:

Ats

Post by Ats »

Will do, although as the boat is moored in your part of the world and i'm based in Essex, it will be a slow progression as am only there 2 weekends a month on average.

Sicobra

Post by Sicobra »

Hi ATS, just out of interest is your Scorpio at Brundall pulled up out of the water on a floating deck and has a dark blue sliding roof????