sims super v

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

shooter

sims super v

Post by shooter »

Hi everyone, this site was recomended to me by one of your members on an irish site. I have a sims super v boat with a 90hp v4 vr0 evinrude, all is working well but in need of some restoration before things start to go realy wrong. My intentions are to ovrehaul the engine and the boat, reapoulster and re spray the body, I cant seam to find any information about these boats on the net, please can somebody help me with information and advice.

thanks.

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Re: sims super v

Post by se7en »

These were built by Dug Simms in the late 70s and early 80s in Cleckheaton, Yorkshire, I went there once in the late 70s, nice guy, the factory was a little red brick building with a yard in an area that was terraced red brick house's with cobbled streets, I think the area was knocked down in the early /mid 1980s for re-development ,I think thats when dug stopped building boats .
Last edited by se7en on Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tremlett 15
CMBA Member: 73

Post by Tremlett 15 »

Hi shooter, its a small world ;) & welcome.

Shooters looking for info on where to get some "original" items like "clocks" etc, so can anyone help??

Shooter if you post some photos of your existing items that you are looking for I am sure some of the "buoys" here can point you in the correct direction. :wot:

Also see

http://www.douglas-marine.co.uk/PredSite2/SIMMS.htm

http://www.douglas-marine.co.uk/PredSit ... tor165.htm

shooter

Post by shooter »

Thanks guys, ill get some photos up so ye can have a look.. :thumbsup:

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Hi Shooter, welcome...I was going to advise against extensive renovations, because Super Vs are very common and cheap, BUT realised they're probably not so on your side of the sea...good luck and enjoy.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

se7en wrote:These were built by Dug Simms in the late 70s and early 80s in Cleckheaton, Yorkshire, I went there once in the late 70s, nice guy, the factory was a little red brick building with a yard in an area that was terraced red brick house's with cobbled streets, I think the area was knocked down in the early /mid 1980s for re-development ,I think thats when dug stopped building boats .
I like the Ford engined Super V jet boats with PPs...do they go well?
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

shooter

Post by shooter »

Thanks rapier... dont know much about the jet engine versons.. the one i have has sentamental value, id like to be able to pass it on to my son in a few years, hopefully it will give him as much fun as it gave me. Watch out for the photos. :thumbsup:

se7en
CMBA Member: 434

Post by se7en »

Hi Rapier,
The jet boats were not that exciting, the 1600 Ford cross flow( Kent engine ) is a good unit ,I like them a lot, but fitted to the PP Jets unit, which did suffer a little from quality issues, and in a 'small' 14 footer, the wetted area was a little small to get all that weight up on the plane quickley, the boat was not that good,shame really, the idea was better than the finnished product.

puddleduck
CMBA Member: 80

Post by puddleduck »

Hmmm, I have to say I take issue with you Clive on the PP jet issue. I spent some time with Dick Parker in the early seventies and he was a brilliant engineer and a pioneer of (leisure craft) jet drive production in the UK. The biggest problem he faced was people fitting jets into unsuitable hull designs. When it all went wrong they blamed the jet! We now know that the current success of jets relies on a partnership between the jet manufacturer, boatbuilders and the engine manufacturers.