Confused about steering

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

ADF
CMBA Member: 0

Confused about steering

Post by ADF »

Hi all,

I have cable drum steering on my boat, but I cannot work out how it is supposed to work. I cannot figure out how to attach the outboard, as when I attach it to the solid bar type thing at the stern (see photo), it will not turn because there is not enough slack in the cables. However, if I slacken the cables they fall of the drum that they are supposed to be wound around. :hmmm: :hmmm:

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

PS. Ignore the transom (or lack of), its been fixed now :D
Attachments
103_1080.JPG
Someone once told me:
"A boat is a big hole in the sea you throw money in to"
My dad once told me:
"Boating is like standing in the shower, fully clothed ripping up 5 pound notes"

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Re: Confused about steering

Post by sean-nós »

Have you got your cables spring loaded at each end to keep tension on them.

ADF

Post by ADF »

The springs are there, but are completely rusted up. Could that be what the problem is?
Someone once told me:
My dad once told me:
"Boating is like standing in the shower, fully clothed ripping up 5 pound notes"

sean-nós

Post by sean-nós »

It could be, they might be stretched or lost there springiness. you should be able to pick them up handy enough, heres one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boat-dinghy-o ... 5654284f66

ADF

Post by ADF »

Thanks for the advice, I'll get some ordered :)
Someone once told me:
My dad once told me:

sean-nós

Post by sean-nós »

No problem, also just check you have the rope on the drum right.

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

As I understand it, 'they that know' recommend only one spring is used not two. The bottle screw you show shouldn't be needed (& it certainly doesn't connect to the engine), but some do like to use them to tension the cables. If you do use one put it in the cable run under one of the side decks where it is clear of any obstacles. If you put a couple of cable ties through the spring(s) to compress it/them you can the rig your cables up & get the slack out of them, then when you cut the cable ties & release the spring(s) the system will be tensioned.

Fergal's (Sean-nos) illustration shows how it should be rigged & there will be two pulleys on the engine. If you connect the steering direct to the engine without the pulleys you will have direct steering which can be heavy & make the boat very twitchy at speed, Fergal's geared down system is the way to go.

As Fergal says, make sure the cables come off the correct part of the drum (top or bottom) or you will reverse your steering!
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Alacrity wrote:make sure the cables come off the correct part of the drum (top or bottom) or you will reverse your steering!
Top is better, as is more likely to be in line with the pulleys.

Thread the cable through a ferrule eye if the cable fouls the inside deck on the way through to the motor (where there are no midway pulleys..).
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

ADF

Post by ADF »

Alacrity wrote:The bottle screw you show shouldn't be needed
Sorry I'm still a bit confused... :hmmm: What should the outboard be attached to the steering cables with then?
Someone once told me:
My dad once told me:

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

This bolts onto your outboard and you connect the cables to either side either with a thimble, if direct or 2 pulleys if indirect. Most manufacturers have their own type of bracket.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-OUTBOA ... 1e793846ea

Here's another post on the subject.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5378&p=18159&hilit=pulleys#p18159
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...