Alby Continental steering gear questions.

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Little Red
CMBA Member: 0

Alby Continental steering gear questions.

Post by Little Red »

1st posting from Newbie to the Forum.
After many hours searching previous posts and the archives I've a couple of questions regarding steering column and rudder.
1-column.
I'm at a loss to figure out how the lockstops actually work. I've located some good pictures of stripped column but
no explanation. My main problem being some sort of resistance when approaching full lock.(no cable fitted).Rocking the steering
1/2 turn <-> the resistance disappears until approaching the opposite full lock. Is this normal?
Is there a recommended figure for the number of coils of cable on the column 'spool'

2-rudder.
Again no cable fitted. I couldn't understand why the rudder was self centring and then found there was a long piece
of rubber tube fitted over the full length of the rudder shaft; being clamped to the bottom 'trunnion' and then at the top of the
shaft just under the top bearing. The bottom trunnion is loose in the hull ,possibly caused by the resistance of the tube?
Again, is this normal?
Looking forward to your thoughts,
BoB.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Re: Alby Continental steering gear questions.

Post by Rapier »

Did you get sorted on this one? If not I'll speak to a non forum member with an early continental who might be able to help you out.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Little Red

Post by Little Red »

Thanks Rapier,
no, haven't made any progress yet. I do have access to an A series
and a couple of ali Deltas, to make some comparisons, but the owner is abroad at
the moment. I'll post any findings when I can.
Regards,
Bob.

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

PM sent
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Mirak
CMBA Member: 672

Post by Mirak »

Re: 2 - Rudder:

If this is anything like the Simmonds setup...

The bottom rudder bearing should be fixed to the hull. a) to stop it flopping about and b) more importantly, to stop the water coming in.

The rubber tube should be clamped to the bottom and top bearings and it's sole purpose (other than annoy you when it perishes) is to form a water tight tube. There will be water in the tube the whole time the boat is afloat, but it won't come into the boat because the top is higher than the waterline.

(on my Simmonds I made an aluminium rudder tube pushed over the bottom bearing with a bit of sealant.)

The rudder should be a good running fit in both top and bottom bearings. I suspect yours is seized in the top bearing and the whole lot is twisting the rubber tube.
Free up the top bearing and your problem should be cured. A bit of anti-seize stuff or WD40 will serve to loosen it up.

Although a self-centering rudder is quite a good idea, but best not implemented in this fashion :-)

As to problem 1, I've no idea other than to strip it all down; oil all the moving bits and then reassemble bit by bit until you hit the problem again.

S
********************************************************************************
* Swinging the World by the tail since 1960 *
********************************************************************************

Little Red

Post by Little Red »

Thanks Mirak for your input. The system seems a little different to yours in that the hose has no alternative but to twist.
But a simple modification will be made when the snow clears!
Cheers, Bob.