Trailer failure

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Trailer failure

Post by Rapier »

Feel for people when this happens, but am a firm believer in bunks, wood boat or not, highlights a prob even if grp. All it takes is for the roller to flip up when recovering in chop and...
Attachments
$(KGrHqN,!isFC73tFvJKBR!TI7Tsk!~~60_12.JPG
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Tremlett 15
CMBA Member: 73

Re: Trailer failure

Post by Tremlett 15 »

Bulks all the time.....when we bought our rib it had/has rollers, would never buy another trailer with rollers. Great for recovering but dont like the launching bit, the rib/boat can run off too fast...one on here will know what I am saying...but sure we are still good mates :drink: .............on our long towing trips I would be very careful on "bad" roads.....I know most on other forums love rollers..........but not me.

A few months ago I got a quote for a new boat & my spec was for bulks...dealer was :o due to a house move new boat is on hold... :(

:wot:

:drink:

mad millie
CMBA Member: 0

Post by mad millie »

I have read this post with interest and have often wondered as my trailor is rollered could it be turned in to a bunked trailor. I have spent good money reconditioning this trailor so I feel reluctant to have to sell it and buy a different one!
Is there a bunk kit or something?
Kind regards
Jon...

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

Only time I've ever done similar was to move my bunks from under the bilge keels. Bought the jockey clamp brackets from Towsure (ouch), but comes with the nuts & bolts, then reclamped the bunks. You can use their Steel Clamps (part p44), but they require drilling and nuts and bolts - I didn't want to drill through my galvanised trailer.

http://www.towsure.com/product/Jockey_W ... itting_Kit

There are narrower versions to these I think, but 4 of them and 2 lengths of carpet covered (non-rotting ) patio decking planks (grooved) bolted to them and you'll be there.

http://www.towsure.com/product/Side_Buffer_Bracket
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...