Rudder Extension

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

barneyagusta
CMBA Member: 0

Rudder Extension

Post by barneyagusta »

i was wondering if anyone knows about adding a rudder extension?
We have a1937 Chris Craft that is a bit difficult to manouver which i believe may be down to the very small rudder it has approx 6 inches long by 5 inches wide, getting parts is obviously not easy but i could something manufactured.

brian

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Re: Rudder Extension

Post by sean-nós »

That seems a bit small alright :hmmm: it might be easier to make a compete new one or have one welded to your shaft,if you try to add a bit to the leading edge you will also need to add some to the back edge so the pivot point stays the same.
This is one made for my build.

barneyagusta

Post by barneyagusta »

That is very neat!!
I may well have to replace the entire Rudder as the existing one I think is brass, so it would have to be bolted to it as I think brazing could be a bit problematic.

Brian

chriscraft

Post by chriscraft »

Hi Brian I have a 1936 chris craft 16 ' deluxe what model is yours ? I have an original pattern bronze rudder and a stainless replacment they are similar in size and I have not experienced sluggish turning , mind you power boats need flow accross the rudder to make it turn, so slow speed turns are trickey, short throttle bursts may help , if you want I could take measurements and photos cheers David :wot:
that bloke up north !

barneyagusta

Post by barneyagusta »

Hello David,

Ours is a 1937 twin cockpit.

if you could send me some info and pictures that would be great.

Brian

chriscraft

Post by chriscraft »

Hi sent you a PM.
that bloke up north !