Batteries

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Sussex
CMBA Member: 0

Batteries

Post by Sussex »

My wife and I have today purchased our first Broom and will join the association shortly. We cannot collect the 38cl until we replace the batteries. Vessel currently has a bank of 4 engine batteries which fit neatly into the housing between the engines, they comprise 3 125 ah and 1 100 ah batteries . I have been advised that two 500 or 600 ah batteries are normal and I should fit these ensuring that they fit in the housing box. Can anyone please advise me on best course . We are excited with the new boat and having come to boating late in life will no doubt appear frequently here appealing for advice. Db

Tremlett 15
CMBA Member: 73

Re: Batteries

Post by Tremlett 15 »

Hi & welcome...

a very nice boat the 38cl........ batteries........??? best contact Broom, the 1 x 100ah if for the engine seems a wee bit low or is it for the bow thruster ? ,my Bounty with a 39hp inboard has 110ah engine bat + 2 110ah for domestic.

:wot:

:drink:

Sussex

Post by Sussex »

Thank you for responding, I will return tomorrow and check the wiring, as you point out the 100 ah may indeed be just for the bow thruster, the limited view I had when inspecting suggested the four batteries were connected to give 475 ah which can be achieved with one or two batteries these days. It was Broom who advised me that this model normally has just two engine batteries although the four I have(probably the originals) fit perfectly in the battery box rgds db

bigminiandy
CMBA Member: 739

Post by bigminiandy »

Having replaced the batteries on my farthers boat a couple times in the past I can assure you that starter batteries and lesuire batteries are REALLY heavy items and usually situated in a REALLY awkward position. Two big batteries may do the job but four smaller ones will certainly be easier to fit/replace.

Happy new year all
Life isn't a rehearsal!!!

Fenn and Wood restoration http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g36 ... ood%20MK2/

Sussex

Post by Sussex »

bigminiandy wrote:Having replaced the batteries on my farthers boat a couple times in the past I can assure you that starter batteries and lesuire batteries are REALLY heavy items and usually situated in a REALLY awkward position. Two big batteries may do the job but four smaller ones will certainly be easier to fit/replace.

Happy new year all
And to you, health and happiness, thanks for your response, rgds db