Broom Scorpio / Pisces info please.

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

TKH
CMBA Member: 0

Broom Scorpio / Pisces info please.

Post by TKH »

Hello. I have not had a boat in many years but quite fancy getting a old Broom to restore. I have seen photos of one that looks like a Scorpio but with the engine mounted out on some sort of extension structure and no back splash panel. It looks a bit like a Pisces converted to outboard perhaps? I liked the look of it and just wondered is this something Broom sold or is it something i have to make my self? Anyhow this is the link to the boat in question http://www.nya.co.uk/used-boat_1329_broom-scorpio.html Thanks

Sicobra
CMBA Member: 891

Re: Broom Scorpio / Pisces info please.

Post by Sicobra »

Hi TKH, you have very good taste, this was my boat and it is a standard Broom Scorpio but the extended cabin version that came with the outboard extension on the back from the factory. Some came as mine with an aluminium sheet metal structure, some have a stainless steel tubular structure which in my opinion doesn't look as nice, but all were bolted on through the transom at 4 points. The advantage is the cabin is much longer as it doesn't have a splash well, disadvantages I can think of are the fact that it hangs off the back in a rather ungainly fashion and you will almost certainly need a big bag of ballast up front to balance things out. If you look at my previous posts you will find more pictures when I had finished the restoration, Si.