Klaxon

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Klaxon

Post by Rapier »

Got this great klaxon, mailman arrived, got it out the box with Mrs watching, what is it she said, walking away... Mrs no longer impressed with my sense of humour. As if to teach me a lesson, it then started jamming (in the name of jah..), so took it apart to investigate and found a section worn on the diaphram which I rotated 180 degrees and put it all back. No doubt from a time when vuvuzelas and football rattles reigned supreme

Had no idea how they work; so for anyone remotely curious, here is today's curiosity.

...can't wait to try it out on the cat that leaves it's steaming parcels under the Pearly Miss..
Attachments
Picture 201 (Large).jpg
Picture 202 (Large).jpg
Picture 203 (Large).jpg
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Re: Klaxon

Post by Alacrity »

I had one very similar (mine had a 4-5" longer polished brass front section) on my 1919 Model T. 8-)
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

floater
CMBA Member: 90

Post by floater »

I had an electric version on an old van I used to own in my yoof (my first car).

Made a noise like someone throwing up into a traffic cone, haoogah.

Also had Dukes of Hazzard musical air horns and a Hawai five o siren too. Oh the innocence of youth.

bigminiandy
CMBA Member: 739

Post by bigminiandy »

You'll scare the neighbours let alone the cat :hilarious:

We've got 'charge of the light brigade' horns under the hood of the Delta!!! Also got a horn that sounds like a cow that came of Charls Mini. Moooooooooooooooooo

Alacrity - We need photos of the Model T, saw the Model T club at Padstow a couple of years ago on the South West Run. They were great, hugely facinating.
Life isn't a rehearsal!!!

Fenn and Wood restoration http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g36 ... ood%20MK2/

Alacrity
Site Admin

Post by Alacrity »

bigminiandy wrote:Alacrity - We need photos of the Model T, saw the Model T club at Padstow a couple of years ago on the South West Run. They were great, hugely facinating.
A couple here Andy. A 1919 car should have a black rad but at some time in its looong past a brass front end was fitted (all original parts). I sold it a couple of years ago. Working with cars all week for the last 28 years I got fed up of tinkering (& more) evening & weekend. I had fun with it for 8 or so years though.
Attachments
1919 Ford Model T
1919 Ford Model T
Model T.JPG
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

bigminiandy
CMBA Member: 739

Post by bigminiandy »

Thats brilliant. :thumbsup:

When we saw the Model T club at Padstow they we're parked up right on the front of the quay wall, looked great. There were ones like yours, a van/commerical one, one that had been converted into a speedster type affair. Did also pass a couple of the side of the road a few days later that had over heated.

One of my regular customers has got a 1906(think) AC 3 wheeler with tiller steering. Again a fantastic piece of kit which he's owned for 40+ years but it really is a death trap in modern traffic.
Life isn't a rehearsal!!!

Fenn and Wood restoration http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/g36 ... ood%20MK2/

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

That's just lovely...Wish I'd seen it in the flesh - I've had a soft spot for them since I was a nipper and got given this one to start the collection I now have. It and the others were sold for £30 to buy a '59 Triumph 3TA, but that's another story. Driving it does sound like an acquired taste though.
Attachments
Picture 2024 (Large).jpg
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Alacrity
Site Admin

Post by Alacrity »

Rapier wrote:Driving it does sound like an acquired taste though.
Think tap dancing then you are getting close to what is required to drive one of these lovely old girls!

welshhealey
CMBA Member: 71

Post by welshhealey »

Here is a quirky one, ... I once was the resident keyboard player in a pub near Bridgend South Wales , the pub was called "The Model T " and had all sorts of pictures of the cars inside, the reason for the name of the pub, (newly built at the time in the 80's) was the building was only 600 yds from the huge Ford engine plant ! and it had great trade from the workers at the factory, tremendous place and atmosphere (the pub I mean :hilarious: ) P.S. I also got in my attic an identical Klaxon that came off an old tractor, the horn itself is in pristine condition ! :perfect: