Buoyancy for wooden boats

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Woodwych
CMBA Member: 0

Buoyancy for wooden boats

Post by Woodwych »

Do you need to add bouyancy to a wooden boat? and if so whats the best way? I cannot see any original evidence of any.
My ply boat probably weighs 80K then the engine and battery and bits and bobs add another 80Kg before you start adding people.
Thanks in advance
Last edited by Woodwych on Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rear Admiral
CMBA Member: 0

Re: Bouyancy for wooden boats

Post by Rear Admiral »

Hi' - It largely depends where you use it, how you use it and what condition it is in. Most boats, wooden or otherwise, used in sheltered waters (lakes and rivers) normally don't need additional bouyancy. The "rag 'n stick" brigade generally will have additional bouyancy tubes but then they do have to tendancy to capsize their boats looking for the wind. What is you boat, what condition is it and where do you intend using it ?

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Post by sean-nós »

The buoyancy bags are good I think T15 has them in his bow, I haven't put them in mine yet i'm going to wait and see if it sinks first before I splash out on them :hilarious:

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

I chopped a few noodles for both the Lone Star and the Pearly Miss seats and used 2pint plastic milk bottles under the transom section, as one does...Fitted bags to a couple of mine in the past and found apart from cost that they're perfect for wood boats.
Attachments
Picture 199 (Large).jpg
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

Tremlett 15
CMBA Member: 73

Post by Tremlett 15 »

sean-nós wrote:The buoyancy bags are good I think T15 has them in his bow, I haven't put them in mine yet i'm going to wait and see if it sinks first before I splash out on them :hilarious:

As Sean-nos says....I have one in T 15 and we also had one in T 14 ( our Raceboat ) we worked out the weight of the engine and other metal bits then got the bow bag to suit....with a wee bit extra. :)

Dad had a ratio for wood to float with a safe margin. :o

....sorry I don't have it :grrr: but a wooden boat would not keep a 50hp Merc up.... :o

Saw a few boats sink :o and one guy said " can we get a diver ". Reply was its 180 ft deep or so....with a tide run of knots, it will be around the I o M in a few hours ( I will check this also out tomorrow too )

Will post pics tomorrow from the PC.

:wot:

:drink:

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Post by Rapier »

I think I went overboard, 22 noodles alone is 3520lbs ....and 56l of pint bottles. If half submerged, there's a chance one can recover the expensive bits I guess.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Post by sean-nós »

Here is a link from Glen on floatation http://www.glen-l.com/weblettr/weblette ... ation.html

Now how many noodles will I need to float a V8 :D

Tremlett 15
CMBA Member: 73

Post by Tremlett 15 »

Tremlett 15 wrote:
sean-nós wrote:The buoyancy bags are good I think T15 has them in his bow, I haven't put them in mine yet i'm going to wait and see if it sinks first before I splash out on them :hilarious:

As Sean-nos says....I have one in T 15 and we also had one in T 14 ( our Raceboat ) we worked out the weight of the engine and other metal bits then got the bow bag to suit....with a wee bit extra. :)

Dad had a ratio for wood to float with a safe margin. :o

....sorry I don't have it :grrr: but a wooden boat would not keep a 50hp Merc up.... :o

Saw a few boats sink :o and one guy said " can we get a diver ". Reply was its 180 ft deep or so....with a tide run of knots, it will be around the I o M in a few hours ( I will check this also out tomorrow too )

Will post pics tomorrow from the PC.

bow bag in T 15

Attachments
T 15 bow bag.jpg

petrolhead
CMBA Member: 644

Post by petrolhead »

I have a decent size bow bag in the Broom Viking strapped in up over legs to the underdeck. I was just contemplating how to add bouyance to a small 9 feet single seater wooden boat and thinking about a small one down each side if the bow is too cramped for feet as well :hilarious: any other ideas?