Teleflex steering

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

Rapier
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 569

Teleflex steering

Post by Rapier »

Just been pricing up a Teleflex system to replace the cable in my Pearly Miss which has been giving me uphill for awhile. That Pearly Miss model relies on the cables running inside the ali box section, with only 2 sheaves each side (typical Holt style dinghy fittings), so when tensioned becomes extremely stiff. Partly because it doesn't like being geared down and comes off the steering spool at a point lower than the sheaves. It's prone to jumping off. Which led to me manually steering the 40hp and using the boathook to control the throttle yesterday. I could take it outside the box section, which might improve it, but it's my utility and I could do without the hassle.

I wondered if anyone knows a supplier of teleflex systems that will come in under the £165 I've priced up, which includes a 3.75m steering system with 90deg bezel and wheel (£89), a 20deg bezel at £16 (my dash is already 90 deg) and a splashwell mounting kit (£48). Postage is £11 of the total. Somehow I don't remeber paying that much a few years ago when I restored 'Miss Daisy'.
Fasten bra straps and remove dentures...

eastcoast
CMBA Member: 0

Re: Teleflex steering

Post by eastcoast »

Hi, I just bought a 12' teleflex complete with plastic wheel for £98 + post. Splash bracket are around £30. I used Stevetheboat, an eBay seller, which is is nautequipe marine 01562 742375. Good to deal with.

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

Thanks, bracket definitely cheaper than mine. Don't need the wheel, as the taper is the same as most of the classic stuff; or the 90 deg bezel, so may be able to sell those off.

Rapier
Site Admin

Post by Rapier »

A day of work yesterday to cut more holes, a nice aqua marine steering wheel and bob's your uncle. The bling is a bit much after a plain ali wheel so may find a classic car wheel instead...the jury is out.
Attachments
Picture 200 (Large).jpg