Four hours work in seven minutes

Our technical section for all matters related to the care, maintenance and restoration of your classic boat.

Moderators: Alacrity, Rapier

water_buoy
CMBA Member: 842

Four hours work in seven minutes

Post by water_buoy »

So the boats back in the workshop for a repaint, I've also decided to sheath the decks with epoxy and since I've been playing with a new stop motion app on the iPad I thought I'd record the process.

If only I could go this fast at work I'd have more time to build boats :giggle:
My Boat Building Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/rockethydroplanebuild

Tremlett 15
CMBA Member: 73

Re: Four hours work in seven minutes

Post by Tremlett 15 »

very good, loved the vid,

could you detail how you did it & what materials you used in each stage, I would like to do something similar with the deck of
T 15, but epoxy is way over my head, we did not have epoxy in 1973... :grrr:

:wot:

:drink:

Alacrity
Site Admin
CMBA Member: 641

Post by Alacrity »

Interesting video, but tell me, why did you decide to sheath the deck? Just curious to know. :?:
Mercs are like women, no 2 are exactly alike. That's what testing is about. In general it is safer to test motors and props than women!

sean-nós
CMBA Member: 793

Post by sean-nós »

Great video, I hope to be doing my deck soon but I wasn't planning on putting cloth on just a few coats of resin and then varnish. I'm sure you know this but just be very careful when your sanding if you go down to the cloth it will turn white and is very hard to fix.
Best of luck she looks great. :thumbsup:

water_buoy
CMBA Member: 842

Post by water_buoy »

Cheers all! I wanted to sheath it mostly for durability, as I use it on the Thames alot we are forever in and out of locks and it gets bumped quite a bit (although my driving is improving :giggle: ). The wood also moved quite a lot last season bringing the grain out, what with moving between hot sun and colder weather etc so I wanted to try and settle that down a bit.

Yeah I'm planning to do several layers of just resin to build up the thickness before sanding :thumbsup: I would be pretty gutted if I ended up with a big white patch on the deck :grrr:

I've written about it in my blog if you want a bit more info. The only things I'd warn about is overworking the resin or doing it in a cold/damp place so you don't get the dreaded milky finish and end up ruining your precious woodwork :grrr: also what Sean-nós said about sanding back to the glass.

I've written about the process in my blog though if you'd like a bit more info on what I did: http://waterbuoy.wordpress.com/2012/10/ ... d-decks-2/
My Boat Building Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/rockethydroplanebuild